Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

EP

July 3rd, 2010 17:00

extra case fan - optiplex 755 - hot video card NVidia 9800GT

I think I need to add an extra case fan at the back of my Optiplex 755. After adding a nvidia 9800 GT, on a hot day the display blanked out. After I removed the 9800 and reverted to built-in graphics, the display worked ok. When I removed the 9800 (which has its own fan), it was real hot.

I was not able to find a wire plug for an extra case fan on the 755 motherboard, but I guess I can try to find an adapter for an extra SATA power cable. I also see an unused power cable bundle coming out of the power supply that has four wires (red, two black, and yellow) and four holes in the plug at the end. (perhaps it is a power cablle for a floppy drive, which I do not have?)

Dell tech support said there is no standard option available for an extra case fan.

The back of the case has a large area of metal mesh/screen. It seems like that would be a good place to attach on internal case fan to blow hot air out the back of the case. It would be fairly close to the 9800 GT video card.

Should I just go to Fry's (electronic supply) and ask them for a standard case fan?

Thanks for any feedback.

881 Posts

July 3rd, 2010 17:00

I have added another fan to my system and may add yet another. The only trouble I ran into is the power connections. The fan I bought from Newegg.com had the old four pin power connector, my system has only SATA power. After I got the proper adapters it worked like a charm. Since it isn't plugged into the motherboard it runs full blast all of the time. (which is what I wanted) If you want to be able to control the speed you will need to buy a fan WITH it's own control.

Good Luck.

Jeff

165 Posts

July 6th, 2010 11:00

Jeff,

Thanks for the excellent tip!

When you say "a fan WITH its own control", do you mean a physical speed control that would be located ooutside the case, or something that would plug into the system, and be controlled via software (Windows utility/app)? Or something else?

Thanks.

881 Posts

July 6th, 2010 12:00

It depends on the fan you use and what connections your motherboard has. If I understand it correctly: to get speed control from the system you must use a Dell fan that plugs into the motherboard. I control my GPU fan with MSI Afterburner software. Since my new fan/blower isn't connected into the motherboard I have no control over it.

Dell Tech Supt says that my motherboard has sockets for a total of three fans. I don't know about yours. So - Yes, I was talking about a fan with it's own speed contorl knob or slider for a no-Dell fan or one that isn't attached to the MB.

The MSI Afterburner software is free and easy to use. It gives you total control. I believe the cooler the system runs the better. Between the i7-860 and the GeForce 240 my system is way warm, to the point of making me uncomfortable with the original cooling.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you decide to do.

Jeff

No Events found!