Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2015 10:00

factory image missing

I really need help please the problem is as follows: (working with WordPad please forgive any errors).
1. Dells Samsung HM641 624.30 GB Hard Drive Crashed.
2. Clown put in a 500.00 GB Hard Drive.
3. System restore DVD's will not work because the second drive is smaller then first.

Getting the following error when trying to install "DataSafeLocalBackup" program
 'dell datasafe local backup cannot be installed because your hard drive does not have a backup copy of your factory image'

I have tried the following to resolve this issue: (after puting Operation disk in drive) {I skipped some options when documenting this} 

a)  Went to: repair computer > choose a recovery tool (No Dell Factory Image Restore) option found.

b)  Proceeded as above went to command prompt
           d: cd tools  (the system cannot find the path specified)
           d: cd \tools (the system cannot find the path specified)
           d: cdtools (not recognized as internal or external command)

c) path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32 (nothing) > d: (the system cannot find the path specified)

I don't have a system because I am afraid to install any updates or programs, they will be wiped out when restore the operating system.

I would really appropriate any help you can give me,
Skipper641

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 09:00

You link did not contain  any information regarding the missing 'Dell Factory Image Partition'. what are the steps to restore this partition and the operating system from the Dell operating system disk? This is what i need to know. Currently my restore data on the external drive is unusable, I am unable to restore it because i cannot install the Dell utility, because there is no "dell factory image partition'

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 5th, 2015 00:00

The point is the old editions of Windows are now obsolete as is your factory image. You are better to invest the time in upgrading to Windows 10 and making Windows 10 Recovery Media.

August 5th, 2015 03:00

A suggestion would be to clone the old drive to new one. I use acronis software that lets you boot from the USB or DVD drive. The software analizes your partitians and will allow you to clone a larger drive to a smaller one as long as the data size is not to large. From there you can run the restore program and it should repair.

Just follow the instructions from Acronis. The software is not costly, and it is a great tool.

Good Luck

6 Posts

August 6th, 2015 13:00

Since you work for Dell, could you please just answer my question? I'm trying to "restore" my system from the DataSafeLocalBackup which I paid for, prior to installing Window 10. I have no data on my machine! In essence I have been without a PC since July 6, 2015.  If you have the answer to resolve the problem kindly let me know.

Thanking you in advance

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 6th, 2015 13:00

I am a Dell Community Rockstar; a forum volunteer and I don't work for Dell.

Dell DataSafe Local Backup had the error that recovery media could not Reinstall Windows on a drive smaller than the original. This was fixed In Dell Backup and Recovery but realistically you are going to get nowhere with your factory image unless you replace your drive with a larger one and then use it to restore on the larger drive and then on the restore factory install update Dell DataSafe Local Backup to Dell Backup and Recovery which amends this issue.

As mentioned you are better to focus on Installing Windows 10 then reinstalling an outdated factory image.

No Events found!