Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2010 17:00

g2 stepping cpu into g1 stepping board / am2 socket / e521

Someone please help me..! I have a question that might be simple for someone who is more 'versed' than I am in cpu specifics. I do have some intelligence so fire away with your best detailed answers..
Thanks on advance for your time.

prior to upgrade specs:
Dell E-521
Athlon X2 Brisbane 3600+ (1.9ghz) AM2 socket 65nm G1
2gb pc-4200 @ 533mhz
nVidia 6150 integrated on-board
DVD player
Windows Vista Home Premium

I researching upgrading the cpu, G1 stepping cpu's go up to 5200+ for my board. Anything in the Brisbane class over that (5400+ and above) states it's a G2 stepping cpu.
Will a G2 stepping cpu work in my G1 board, and will it work with the most recent BIOS version 1.1.11.; or do I have to do some flashing to the BIOS.? Maybe, it won't work at all.? I don't know and seem not to be able to get a straight answer.
Newer G2 chips run @ 45nm and some of those have the same socket (AM2), others are on the newer sockets like AM2+ and AM3, it does seem the die itself is slightly smaller.
In a related question, does the 45nm work in the 65nm and what precautions do I need to take.?
Thanks again.

15 Posts

June 26th, 2010 13:00

Final solution: Upgrading the BIOS on the board move the stepping to G2. I installed a DO model processor that was G2 and it worked. The latest BIOS for my machine is 1.1.11 or something like that. With that being said, I am now able to really upgrade up to the 6000+'s if wanted. Just make sure that I keep the G2 and 65mn Brisbane. No need to convert over to the 90nm Windsor like some others have. Any more upgrading for me and I might as well go quad core.
Thanks for the pointing in the right direction.

729 Posts

June 1st, 2010 04:00

Most newer Brisbanes, G2, do not work with the E521.  Some have gotten them to work by flashing to an older BIOS (1.0.3), but otherwise they haven't had much success.  Windsors, F2, are the only processors that will definitely work in a E521.  The problem is the most current BIOS for the E521 is September 2007.  Long before the newer Brisbanes came out.  Maybe someone who has gotten one to work will reply and give you some additional information.  By the way I belive we've met on the AMD Forum.

15 Posts

June 13th, 2010 09:00

Is processor stepping backwards compatible.? Same scenario to use as above, looking for answer.
Is a G2 stepping board and processor able to use an older G1 processor and vice-versa.

No Events found!