Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2009 22:00

graphics card questions

recently i bought http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4639173&CatId=3670 for my Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop. upon installation i notice that my power supply doesnt have any connector that matches the power cable on the card. however that fan on the card is running, but when i plug my monitor into the actual card ports i get no picture on screen. the card says it requires a 450watt psu, whereas im still using my stock 300watt. (i heard from a few people it would work fine for low end games and such). the part of the power connection to the bored is a 2x3 male, and on the other end its a 3(4?) prong connector looking like [OOOO] with the leftmost pin slot empy. (or right side, i guess, depends on how you look at it. please help!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 4th, 2009 05:00

You will need that PCIe power connection. If you don't have one you will have to use a "Y" adapter and connect to one of the existing power connectors. 

As far as the 450 watts.  I would be cautious about using something that requires that much power with a 300 watt power supply.  Dell tends to underrate their power supplies so it's more like a 350 watt and some Video card vendors tend to overstate the power requirements, but even so you are marginal at best with a 300 or 350 watt power supply.  It may work, but for how long? before the power supply fails.

1.7K Posts

September 4th, 2009 07:00

The funny thing here is did you see the review on TigerDirect about someone who bought this card for the same computer.  He does not indicate that he used the adapter, however, and the 530 doesn't have any 4-pin molex connectors only SATA.

"I have a Dell Inspiron 530 with a factory 300 watt PSU and a Geforce 8300 card. After I installed this puppy, all my graphics scores jumped from 3.5 to 5.9 in the windows rating. No issues with the power supply handling this card, which is great because I avoided needing a whole new PSU. Every game I have tried so far (MLB 09, Madden 08, Dirt, GTA, and others) has played almost flawlessly on the max settings and resolutions with only slight hickups here and there. Plus the 7.1 audio from the HDMI connection let me remove my sound card and push all of the sound and video through the same cable to my Denon Recevier and to my TV. There is still room for some tweaking (overclock higher than the CCC allows, maybe flash the bios with the Asus one to get better control) but I really don't see a need for it yet. Overall, I couldn't be happier."

3 Posts

September 4th, 2009 19:00

thanks a bunch for the info =). i got a 450 watt psu w/ a PCIe AND and a plethora of 4-pin molex connectors just to be safe. will post again when i find out if it worked or not.

No Events found!