Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 11th, 2006 19:00

hidden partition for the operating system

Hi ... I understand that with dell computers their operating system is preinstall on a hidden partition , Ok what I like to know if I was to use an Microsoft retail disk with windows xp and format the dell hard drive with this disk , I mean whatever partition that happen to show up I go and delete this and recreat a partition and install windows xp , will this get rid of the hidden partition where the preinstall version is ? Thanks

171 Posts

February 11th, 2006 20:00

The Operating System is not in a hidden partition. Rather, an image of the installed software (including the operating system) is in a hidden partition. This allows you to restore that image if you need or want to have your machine back in the same state it was in when you received it from Dell.

If you format your hard disk, it will remove all software on it, including the partition for the Dell utilities, and the partition with the image, as well as the partition with your operating system and other installed software.

February 11th, 2006 23:00

Ok great then , What I have is a pro retail disk and my preinstall was with a home version , I don't care for all the garbage ( softwares ) that also gets install from the preinstall , So I wanted to be sure that I totally remove everything off , Because I know I wouldn't ever  want to go back to the original setting ... Thanks

274 Posts

February 11th, 2006 23:00

Make sure during the install that you delete all the partitions.

Then create a new partition, then re-install to that partition.

2.1K Posts

February 12th, 2006 03:00

jchutcheson..

Don't be in a rush to throw out the baby with the bath water. Unless you prefer and want to install XP Pro, just use Add/Remove Programs to remove any pre-installed software you don't want. And keep in mind that once you format the HD the Dell system as-shipped image stored on a hidden partition will be erased.

148 Posts

February 13th, 2006 17:00

Also, make sure you visit the support site and identify/download all of the drivers that are specific to your system (especially your ethernet card drivers if you use broadband), because those will come in handy when your system wakes up from the fresh install and doesn't know all of it's parts. Put the drivers on a disk so you can point to it when you are going through the "re-orientation" process for your system.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2008 13:00

How do I make a copy of this image of the installed software including the operating system? I have a Dimension 2350 desktop that I want to reformat the drive but before I do I want to amke a copy of that software.

799 Posts

The Operating System is not in a hidden partition. Rather, an image of the installed software (including the operating system) is in a hidden partition. This allows you to restore that image if you need or want to have your machine back in the same state it was in when you received it from Dell. If you format your hard disk, it will remove all software on it, including the partition for the Dell utilities, and the partition with the image, as well as the partition with your operating system and other installed software.

Hello Tom McCune, The Dell Recovery Restore partition is not a hidden partition. It can be accessed as any other partition.

This is not good, since it can be seen and used to store other files on it, as well as a System restore point.

This was not thought out by Dell, because many people have issues with this approach, and try to use it for storage purposes.

There is a hidden partition 1, that is formatted in FAT 16. This partition cannot be deleted in a normal way, but can be deleted with diskpart.exe, that can be downloaded from Microsoft.

The OS can be installed on the largest partition on the hard drive and the other partitions left intact.

Just some thoughts.

14.4K Posts

The Operating System is not in a hidden partition. Rather, an image of the installed software (including the operating system) is in a hidden partition. This allows you to restore that image if you need or want to have your machine back in the same state it was in when you received it from Dell.

If you format your hard disk, it will remove all software on it, including the partition for the Dell utilities, and the partition with the image, as well as the partition with your operating system and other installed software.

Well almost, what happens is unless one repartitions the disk then the hidden partition will be lost. What usually happens during a format is the MBR is overwritten and then the hidden partition will be accessible but not useable.

14.4K Posts

December 25th, 2008 14:00

unless you copy the whole drive there is no point in copying the hidden partition. Once you alter the MBR master boot record the hidden partion or factory restore is gone forever. So if you were to copy it and then try to bring it back it would not work.

What you should do is have your Friend go HERE and request backup disks that should have shipped with the system when it orginally shipped. Since he probably did not transfer owership to you on the Dell web site your friend is more than likely the registered owner.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2008 14:00

I just bought this old Dimension 2350 from a friend but she said it didn't come with an OS cd. After doing research  I found out that you have to make a copy of that image from the hard drive when you get your get your computer. How do I do that?

14.4K Posts

December 27th, 2008 11:00

Those links are not really what the poster would need with the possible exception of the first.  Some dell systems came with a program that would in essences create the recovery disk just like if Dell sent it. Which would be a comple Os reinstall disk. My laptop did.

Looking at the system manual for Os reinstall it does not mention this it only mentions using the Dell Os recovery disk

The best solution would be for the OP to have the orginal owner request a set using the Dell request link since the Dell records are more than likely sitll in the friends name

4.6K Posts

December 27th, 2008 11:00

I just bought this old Dimension 2350 from a friend but she said it didn't come with an OS cd.

After doing research  I found out that you have to make a copy of that image from the hard drive when you get your get your computer.

How do I do that?

A quick Google for something like 'How to create a recovery disc' would show you there are dozens - if not hundreds of recovery disc creation how to's/guides/articles on the 'net :emotion-55:

Here's three to get you started:

How to Create a Restore/Recovery Disc & Partition
How to Create a Vista Recovery Disc
Create a Vista SP1 Recovery Disc

No Events found!