Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 22nd, 2013 13:00

how to connect Inspiron slim tower 620 to Panasonic HDTV

Trying to connect my computer to tv. Computer has AMD 6450 card with only one dvi port. The port has a vga adapter which is connected to the monitor. I tried to connect the HDMI port on the tower to the tv but only get a message on the tv that I "need to disconnect display cable & connect it to the addin graphics card". I suspect the HDMI port has been disabled.  Can I split the dvi port and get the computer screen to display on both monitors? Any downside to doing this? All suggestions welcome! Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 22nd, 2013 14:00

If your 6450 lacks a native HDMI port, you can use a special ATI DVI-to-HDMI dongle that will pass audio as well as video.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2013 14:00

Hi Leon L,

Yes, when you get discrete video, the on-board HDMI is usually disabled. You should have no problem with a DVI splitter.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 23rd, 2013 13:00

The dongle will pass both audio and video signals to the TV. No other audio connection is needed.

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 13:00

If I do this, will I get audio on the tv?  Or will I have to run something else to get the audio over to the tv?  The Dell 620 also has a vga port but I suspect this is also disabled. If not, wouldn't there still be an audio problem.  Too bad Dell didn't give me a working HDMI port! Leon

3 Posts

December 23rd, 2013 14:00

That's great & I really do appreciate your help, However, the monitor is  currently connected to the dvi port in question. So if I do what you suggest, it looks like I'll have to disconnect the computer monitor in order to view the computer screen on tv.  I really wanted to have a picture on both the tv & the computer monitor.  There may be no easy way to achieve what I want. If only they hadn't disabled the hdmi port (& probably the vga port too). Thanks!

Leon

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 23rd, 2013 15:00

An option is to buy an aftermarket 6450 with both DVI and native HDMI, like the Sapphire, and sell the OEM card on eBay.

No Events found!