Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 23rd, 2011 15:00

ich9 USB driver for Windows 7 64 bit

I have an Inspiron 1545. I just installed a hard drive from an HP G61. Can you guys help find the driver(s) I need to manage the USB ports on this system?

Information found under "Serial Bus Controllers" in Device Manager:

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934, 2935, 2936, 2937, 2938, 2939, and

Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A, and 293C

Each listing contains:

Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37) in the "Device Status" descriptioin under "Properties"...

Thank you in advance.

Any response is appreciated.

Jim

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 21:00

If retrieval of data is your objective there is nothing wrong with running the drive as a secondary in a working machine.  The EULA is only a problem if you are trying to run the Windows from the HP machine as the regular operating system of the Dell, which was implied in your post when you mentioned drivers.  It is also possible to place the HP drive in an external drive shell and connect it via USB to a working computer.  Drivers for the USB controllers are not normally found as separate entities as they are built in to Windows.

Best of luck to you.

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 15:00

If what you have done is to move a hard drive having an existing installation of Windows from one computer to a second computer, I'm surprised it booted as well as it did.  Windows installs drivers at the time of installation tailored to the devices that it can see during the process.  You don't have the drivers for this controller as the installation program hasn't had a chance to examine the motherboard for all devices that are present.

Secondly, your installation of the HP hard drive into a Dell machine is a violation of the End User License Agreement (EULA) that you accepted when you purchased the HP.  Each OEM installation of Windows is licensed only for the computer with which it was delivered and is not transferable.  You can still transfer the hardware but the drive should have been wiped clean and Windows reinstalled after the hard drive was installed in the Inspiron 1545.

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 19:00

Thanks for your reponse. Of course, it is not what I wanted to hear. But I understand.

The HP system died, as the processor over heated after the heat sync became clogged with dust from abuse. There is nothing wrong with the original Dell hard drive. I am trying to help a friend retrieve her old drive from the HP, and found this to be the easiest method of transfer. The process worked pretty well...but there was quite a bit of updating and restarting that took place to get to this point.

I will try to get the drivers from the original hard drive...

Thanks again for your time.

Jim

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2011 22:00

Thanks again for your help. I wish there were a place for a second drive inside the Dell case...
I did not know about the shell option for the old hard drive. I think she can handle running the external drive until she gets what she wants from it migrated to the new one.

Cool.

Jim

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2011 23:00

You are very welcome.  Again, good luck to you!

No Events found!