Highlighted
kingqueens3
1 Nickel

inspiron 3847 wants graphics card and looks like new power supply too?

I have a 3847 with intel integrated graphics. For video editing I would like to add video card. Chat with Dell rep he suggested a PNY XLR8 GEForce 750 Ti so I bought one.

Looking at threads here appears I want (need) a new power supply since the one in my computer is 300 watts. What I read is that I want to purchase a Corsair cs750.

Do I have my facts straight?

Thanks in advance for help and feedback.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

RE: inspiron 3847 wants graphics card and looks like new power supply too?

Hi kingqueens3,

PNY XLR8 GEForce 750 Ti would require only 300 watts PSU on the system. You need not upgrade the PSU.

0 Kudos
kingqueens3
1 Nickel

I'm confused because the cards website says minimum 400 watts. Is there something here I'm not understanding? Thanks for your reply Ravi.

0 Kudos
kingqueens3
1 Nickel

After calling PNY tech support I went with another forum thread recommendation of the Corsair CX750M and having just installed it, I am back on my computer typing this note. Fits perfect. Maybe I have too much power now, and maybe it's my imagination, but seems my boot time was quite a bit quicker, for starters. Anyway, won't be the last thing I waste $75 on if I didn't need it. Looking forward to putting graphics card in tomorrow and seeing if my video editing is improved. Thanks for listening.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

since you have invested in a PSU, you can put a much, better graphics card in as long as it fits.

I'd look at a GTX 950, or a 960. 950s are about the same price as 750 tis

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

GTX950 is basically the 750 TI with higher clock rate.  Same number of shaders and rops but 33 percent faster fps and higher clock rate.

HOWEVER you have to get a MINI ITX version because the slot wont take 12 inch cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=mini+it...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro