Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2015 21:00

intermittent loss of internet connection - wired (ethernet) connection - only restored by rebooting

My XPS 8700 desktop running Windows 8 intermittently loses its connection to the internet.  Sometimes it's fine for 24 hours.  Other times it happens after 1 hour.  No way to restore my internet connection without rebooting my PC.  Rebooting the PC always fixes it.  Other PC's on my home router network are fine - they don't lose their connection.  From a command prompt if I try "ipconfig /renew" I get message "media disconnected".   Help? :( :( :( 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 17th, 2015 11:00

After reinstalling the NIC driver, double-click the NIC entry in Device Manager. Click its Power Management tab and make sure the box "Allow PC to turn off..." is not checked. Exit Device Manager and reboot.

If that doesn't help, open the Power Options page in Windows. Click Advanced Settings link and look for options that affect NIC function and set them appropriately to prevent the NIC from being turned off. And disable Hybrid Sleep too.

1.2K Posts

July 17th, 2015 11:00

Hi ,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum .Request you to try these steps and advise if the result.

*Go to device manager and uninstall the Ethernet driver on the system .

*Click here for the link to the Ethernet driver download and reinstall it .

*Restart the system after the process is complete .

Do reply to this post if there are any queries with the service tag of the system ( via private message ) .

Kindest Regards,

3 Posts

July 19th, 2015 11:00

Sigh.  I did the following:
- uninstalled the ethernet driver
- reinstalled the ethernet driver
- rebooted
Unfortunately the problem reoccurred again. :( 
New info: this time when I lost connectivity on the wired/ethernet connection, I immediately switched to my wireless connection.  HOWEVER, I still had no connectivity on wireless!  I had the "connected" status message and the 4 bars lit up in the lower right hand corner of my screen.  But no connectivity.  I opened a command prompt and typed "ping  www.google.com" but it didn't ping - no response at all.  So I don't think the problem is with either my ethernet adapter or my wireless adapter.  It must be something else.  What can I try now?  Thanks! 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 19th, 2015 18:00

Did you turn off the Power Management and Power Plan options that allow PC to turn off Ethernet and WiFi cards?

What browser? Try resetting it to defaults. In IE, click Tools>Internet options>Advanced tab>Reset button.

And you've scanned for malware?

Something wrong with your malware software that's blocking?

Or maybe your route or modem is turning off access for this PC? Have you tried rebooting the router and modem?

Time to reinstall Windows..??

3 Posts

July 19th, 2015 21:00

Hi.  Thank you very much for your suggestions!  

- I have now turned off the Power Management option on the Ethernet card.  I would be shocked if that was the problem because sometimes I lose connection, say, 60 seconds after I was typing something which seems like a pretty bad algorithm if that would allow a shutdown.

- Under overall Power Options I couldn't see any option for the Ethernet card.  I did see PCI Express > Link State Power Management.  It's set for "Moderate power savings".  Should I switch this to "Off"?

- I reset my Chrome Browser to Default setting.

- I have Malware Bytes Anti-Malware running at all times.  As far as I know it's working OK.  Is there better Anti-Malware software I should use?

- I have rebooted the router and modem.

- Sigh.  Could you point me to an instruction page for reinstalling Windows if necessary?  

Thank you VERY much for your help...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 20th, 2015 12:00

The time to shut off the NIC isn't from the time you started typing, it's from the time the NIC connection was last used...

Since this is desktop, I'd turn Link State Power Management off too.

See if these changes solve the problems for a few days before considering a reinstall...

No Events found!