Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

January 18th, 2009 06:00

latest version of flash not being recognized even though i "think" it's installed

i'm not sure where to post this so thought i would try here.

i have downloaded the latest version of Flash Player (10.0.12.36). When i go to my currently installed programs list it shows Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX. however it doesn't show the size (# of mb's) like all the other programs. However when i click on start, then all programs, i don't see it listed.  Also, when i go to a site such as walgreens it says i must upgrade to the latest version of flash player to see their ad. could someone please tell me what is preventing sites such as walgreens and hallmark from recognizing that i have the latest version on my machine.

i'm running on ie 6 if that makes any difference.

thanks,

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 18th, 2009 09:00

This is not the forum section for software application problems.  However, the old I.E.6 could be one of the problems.  Newer 3rd party software is generally aimed at the current Operating System applications and in this case I.E.7, as you should have already upgraded to I.E.7, as it has a lot more security (and it the current version). 

I would suggest (1) upgrade to I.E.7 and then if you are still having problems, there is an uninstaller program available on the Adobe site that will completely uninstall Flash, run that and then download and install the current flash version.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2009 10:00

xttt,

In addition to what fireberd said, I still am using ie6 and have no problems with Walgees website.

Test Adobe Shockwave and Flash Players

What happens?

Rick

66 Posts

January 18th, 2009 11:00

hi, thanks very much for getting back to me.      i clicked on that link and the adobe page came up.  then the two boxes

filled with a graphic for adobe shockwave and flash player with the words "installation complete." 

i also installed ie 7.  yet i still can't view walgreens ad in broadband or view hallmark's cards?  what am i missing????  :emotion-7:

my system info is dimension e510 running internet explorer 7.  (windows v 5.1, sp3) at one time i could view walgreens ad in broadband.  i don't know what

has happened.  if it's a registry problem i can't go there unfortunately.  can't jeopardize my whole system since i wouldn't have a clue

on what i'm doing.  :emotion-6: 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2009 11:00

xttt,

Try using the latest Java or .net framework from Windows Updates custom update.

Rick

66 Posts

January 18th, 2009 12:00

Rick thanks soooo much for your help.  however i think this just may be one of those unsolved mysteries.  :emotion-42:

i did the java thing and it said congratulations you have the recommended java installed.  version 6, update 11. 

this is REALLY weird!  it doesn't really have a big impact but it just bugs me.  i mean i can view youtube videos and other ecard

sites.  guess i will just have to view walgreens ad in dial-up now.  but it's irritating that i used to be able to see hallmark

cards and use the broadband version of walgreens ad.  :emotion-7:  oh well... what's that they say... if this were my ONLY problem. ha 

i also went to another site on the web that has a flash test.  it was an animation moving some geometrical figures around and also a little

video.  they worked fine! 

33 Posts

January 19th, 2009 10:00

XTTT, I'm having the same problem, but with AOL's Full CD Listening Party ever since they changed the way they present CDs.  Tried all the suggestions in this thread, but to no avail.  Tried running Secuina's Software Inspector to see if I was otherwise missing something.  With my Java update, I messed up an applet used by Secuina, at least within AOL.  I found when I used the offline method for downloading Java, I was able to get Secuina to work under IE, but not within AOL.  And, yes, I verified Java was enabled in my web browser.  If you've found a solution, please let me know.   

66 Posts

January 20th, 2009 07:00

sorry to hear about your difficulties.  no, i'm still in the dark.  i have a feeling it's something complex like

in the registry.  which means it'll never be fixed on my machine.  i may set a restore point then try uninstalling

and re-installing.  but, i don't have much hope at this point.  kinda irritating though.  internet explorer 7 doesn't make it any

easier with their dumb security settings either.  (i.e. downloading activex stuff) 

will certainly post if i ever find anyone who can fix it. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2009 09:00

Maybe this will work.

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control

Restart your computer.

Download jv16 Power tools. It's a registry cleaner. I really try to stay away from registry cleaners but I feel this one is safe at removing the correct items.

Install it. Open it. Click on registry tool, tools, registry cleaner. Click continue start. When the scan is finished, click select, special select, items that should be safe to remove. Remove. Restart your computer.

If this doesn't work the first time, you may have to restart the computer one time.

Now get the latest Java, first. Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates, especially .net Framework(custom Windows Update). This program is needed to run many applications. Now get the latest Flash Player.

Test Adobe Shockwave and Flash Players

Microsoft uses Silverlight and some websites use this. It's similar to Flash Player, so I'm wondering if it could be an issue with Silverlight. Silverlight can also be gotten with Windows Updates, custom updates.

Rick

No Events found!