Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2013 14:00

mSATA adapter for XPS 8500 SE question and other questions

I just received my XPS 8500 SE with a Samsung 500 GB 840 SSD,  WD 3TB HDD and a NVidia 660 video card. I have 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate installed on the SSD. I was thinking about using the adapter above to connect it via a 90 degree cable to a spare Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD that I have. I would like to install Windows 8.1 on it when the OS becomes available. mSATA to 7 pin adapter: http://www.microsatacables.com/msata-to-7-pin-sata-dapter/

My problem is that the 660 video card extends over where the mSATA port is. Is there enough room to add this adapter using a 90 degree SATA III cable? I really can't tell unless I remove some parts. Does anyone know if this adapter will fit and work?

Here is another option. I have one PCIe 2.0 x1 slot. I have found some cards that run at good speeds and are bootable to mount the SSD on for installation in this slot, but most of the reviews of them aren't very good. Is there a good card that is available? What about this APRICORN VEL-SOLO-X1 Performance SSD Upgrade Kit for Desktop PCs and MacPro?   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815461001          

If there isn't enough room. I have an extra SATA II port, but the SSD is a SATA III. I would lose around 1/2 its speed by goring this route.

I would like to use this adapter and save the cost of purchasing a mSATA SSD since I already have this unused 256GB SSD. But, if I can't is there a good PCIe 2.0 x1 card?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 17th, 2013 15:00

Hi Left C,

From the picture of the XPS 8500 provided below, it seems that there is enough room to add the mSATA to 7 pin adapter with a "L" connector SATA cable. You may purchase this adapter to connect the Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD.

Please let me know if you need further information.

26 Posts

June 17th, 2013 16:00

Hi Rajah

I can clearly see the mSATA port in your picture, but my XPS 8500 SE has a long GT 660 graphics card that extends over the mSATA port.

I didn't remove the graphics card to really see if it would fit. I just stuck my find down there feeling for room. There sure wasn't much room.

Would you happen to have a picture of a XPS 8500 Special Edition that has a graphics card like mine? Or something showing this dimension?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 18th, 2013 19:00

Hi Left C,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update. I suggest you to check the space available by removing the graphics card as I could not get a picture with the graphics card similar to GT 660.

No Events found!