Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2013 12:00

monitor goes blank won't come back

E 510 several years old. came with video card and on board video port. running windows xp media edition.

problem:monitor goes blank while using computer. all power saving modes are disabled including startup settings. I have even removed video card and am using onboard video port- still happens. light on power switch for computer stays green, monitor goes to yellow. if you press button on monitor it says it is in power saver mode to move mouse or hit key on keyboard nothing happens. Only way I can get monitor to come back is to hold power button and wait for re-boot or restart up. Have made sure computer is clean and free of dust inside. have checked all connections and run diagnotics everything comes back normal.no rhyme or reason to how long before it happens. fans are all working.I'm open to any suggestions other buying a new desktop.Thanks

21 Posts

all fans are working

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Test the monitor on another computer.  I suspect that the computer itself is dying. The power supply is probably very hot and the fan has failed many months ago.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

Hi seawolfnh,

I appreciate your efforts to fix the issue and suggest you to remove the data cable that it connected between the monitor and tower.

Please let me know if the monitors displays color bands on the screen.

21 Posts

thnaks for the reply.disconnected cabel color bands appear

21 Posts

March 31st, 2013 21:00

another symptom: power down computer wait 2 seconds, an hour etc. power back up computer runs for an undetermined amount of time and then does it again.

21 Posts

March 31st, 2013 21:00

E 510 several years old. came with video card and on board video port. running windows xp media edition.

problem:monitor goes blank while using computer. all power saving modes are disabled including startup settings. I have even removed video card and am using onboard video port- still happens. light on power switch for computer stays green, monitor goes to yellow. if you press button on monitor it says it is in power saver mode to move mouse or hit key on keyboard nothing happens. Only way I can get monitor to come back is to hold power button and wait for re-boot or restart up. Have made sure computer is clean and free of dust inside. have checked all connections and run diagnostics everything comes back normal.no rhyme or reason to how long before it happens. fans are all working.I'm open to any suggestions other buying a new desktop. can power down computer and wait 2 seconds an hour etc. power back up and works fine for an undetermined amount of time and then it does it again. all fan are working.Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 1st, 2013 09:00

seawolfnh,

What specific Dell monitor? This sounds like the video is the problem, not the monitor.

21 Posts

April 1st, 2013 19:00

yes

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

Did you enter the Bios- Video- Primary Video and change it to Auto. Then exit the bios saving the change?

21 Posts

dell E196Fp. I have changed. the monitor and it still does it. I have removed the video card and just used the "onboard" video port. it still does it. I have double checked all the power management settings including bios and it still does it. I changed the cmos battery and it still does it. all the fans are working.  key board and computer have all been cleaned. When monitor "shuts down" power light on computer stays green and the only way to get monitor back is re-start computer.light on monitor goes from green to yellow.thanks.

21 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 05:00

all ready did that. thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 05:00

Try replacing the CR2032 3V/225mAh Lithium Coin Cell Battery on the motherboard.

www.radioshack.com/.../index.jsp

21 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 09:00

another tidbit. computer goes into "sleep mode" can't get it out. I leave it come back and screen saver is working, computer works fine for awhile and then starts all over again.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

April 2nd, 2013 10:00

Hi seawolfnh,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to update the BIOS and Video drivers and check if it fixes the issue. You can download the drivers from the following link by punching in the system Service Tag:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

You will need to buy a new computer if the driver update fails to fix the issue as the computer may be dying as per SpeedStep’s message.

21 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 06:00

power supply was replaced a year ago..

No Events found!