Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 23rd, 2013 11:00

monitor is in sleep mode all the time!

Hi guys,

YESTERDAY it started with a bluescreen and i waited a bit started it agin normal, after 5min i watch video on youtube and it got stuck and just making noice and i had to turn it off. and i waited abit agian turned it on and it was fine.

TODAY: my dell xps 8700 make 3beeps  and then it turned off by it self.

I restart the pc and i can here the window startup sound but the screen is black and monitor is on sleep.

i did this after:

• Switch off the computer.
  • Disconnect the power cable from the wall.
  • Press and hold down the power button for 15 seconds.

and now is not  beeping any more when starting the pc

i still hear the windows starting up and monitor is in sleep mode.

any ideas what this can be?
warm regards B

3.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 12:00

Hi bardounias,

For monitor issue, refer the following link:

http://dell.to/1a7NWUt

Ideally,3 beeps indicate System board failure. We need to replace the motherboard.

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message click Here, then click "Send a Private Message".

Awaiting your response!

55 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 13:00

is not beebing anymore when starting the pc, and also the pc seem to start up as i can here the window start up,

are you sure is the motherboard?

is it possible to make any other checks?

55 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 14:00

i made a mistake the pc is dell xps 8300

55 Posts

October 24th, 2013 10:00

is not beebing anymore when starting the pc, and also the pc seem to start up as i can here the window start up,

are you sure is the motherboard?

is it possible to make any other checks?

3.3K Posts

October 24th, 2013 17:00

Hi bardounias,

If there are no beeps heard now, you can check the monitor cables.

Reseat the cables and swap the cable ends from the tower to the monitor and check if you get any display.

Also, connect a known good monitor to the computer.

Refer the following link for more information:

http://dell.to/1a7NWUt

Awaiting your response!

55 Posts

October 25th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

I am very unhappy with the first post when you say is the motherboard is broken and i also  explained that the beeps stopped and so on.. Luckly i was very presistent asking for more and now when i change monitor it seem to work.

So my question is should i run a complett system diagnostic now to find out if it any serious problems with motherboard? or soemthing else?

When i do digonstic test i get one error, it is on video Capture it says it does not exist.

what doeas it mean?

regards K

953 Posts

October 31st, 2013 12:00

Hi K,

To be precise 3 beeps can indicate intermittent as well as permanent motherboard failures on XPS 8300 desktops. As the beeps have stopped now after you released flea power, I believe the issue was intermittent. However, running thorough diagnostics test on your computer will confirm other failures (if any).

Video capture error indicates that the computer is trying to run diagnostics on the Video Capture Device (i.e., webcam). As there is no physical webcam attached to the computer it is obvious to receive this error message.

No Events found!