Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 19th, 2013 11:00

nVidia GeForce GT 640 and Dell Optiplex 9010 mt

Hello,

I just bought a Dell Optiplex 9010 Mini Tower.  It has 32 GB of RAM and runs Windows 8 64-Bit.  I took out the PSU that it shipped with a replaced it with a 500 Watt Corasir PSU.  I did this because I want to add a more powerful Graphics card.  I tested the system - All good.  Then I added an nVidia GEForce GT 640 with 4GB of DDR3 onboard RAM to one of its PCIe slots because I want to do 3D modeling and renderings on the system.  The Dell system gives me a System Halt, so I shutdown the system.  I plug in VGA to the integrated card, unplug DVI from the nVidia card and I restart the PC, boot into Bios, set Video to Auto and NOT integrated.  I shutdown the PC unplug the VGA, Plug in the DVI to the nVidia card, restart the system and just get a blank screen. 

So, I contact nVidia support and I quote:-

Shreyas: Have you checked with Dell if the card is compatible with the System?
  resmonde: no
  Shreyas: Could you please contact Dell and have this checked
  resmonde: nVidia cannot tell me if there card works in a Dell PC?
  Shreyas: NVIDIA always suggests that it should work on any system, but there may be some system that may not work.. 
  resmonde: OK

Please advise!!

Thanks

UPDATE:  I found this:-

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/optiplex-9010?driverId=2R9N7&osCode=W864&fileId=3082837430&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

I will try it and update this post with my results in case it helps others.

UPDATE 2:  I cannot run this driver because I cannot get the Dell system to boot up properly when I install the nvidia card and this driver will only install if it sees the card in a PCIe slot.  I am stuck so again - Please advise!!

UPDATE3:  I suppose no one else is seeing this issue?  In any event, here is what nVidia discovered and what I will try later:

Hello Richard,

Thank you for the update.

Please try the steps in the below link and check if this helps.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156/kw/secure%20boot

I look forward for your reply to assist you better.

Best regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care

UPDATE 4:  The advice from nVidia tech support fixed my problem.  I booted into Bios Config by hitting F12 and then I selected the 'Change Boot Settings' from the One time boot screen which resulted.

I disabled Secure Boot or UEFI or whatever its called and then put the card in the PCIe slot and booted up just fine and then installed the nVidia driver on the CD which came in the box and then updated it from nVidia's site.  Notably, the driver on the Dell site which I tried would not recognize the card and failed to install.  

Dell owes me!

No Responses!
No Events found!