Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2015 14:00

nVidia Quadro 6000 Video BIOS Update

This is my first time posting, so sorry if this is in the wrong section, I didn't see one for a rack workstation.

I've given a description on my problems below, for anyone who'll bother helping.

A few years back, I got a refurbished Precision R5500 with dual Quadro 6000s. I noticed the driver was outdated, and updated it. Unfortunately, when I did so, the driver would crash several times a day, with no clear indication of why or when. It was several months before we figured out what driver was previously on it (266.87), and reinstalled that. It's still running mostly stable.

However, this driver downgrade caused an issue for me. I'm a gamer, and apparently, version 266.87 does not run Frostbite-based games correctly. For example, Battlefield 3 and Need for Speed The Run both have an invisible floor.

I'd pretty much given up on looking for solutions a couple years ago, but yesterday, I decided to give it another shot. I quickly found a thread on the old Dell TechCenter, which you can view here, where users had found a solution. They had updated the VBIOS to what appears to be version 70.0.6F.0.2. My current version is 70.0.57.0.2, so it'd make sense that if mine was updated, I'd be able to update the drivers without them crashing.

Problem is, there are no links to the update on the web; at least, not that version. The closest thing I've found is on HP's website, which you can view here, but I get the feeling that's only for HP computers.

So, story over. I have two questions. First, does anyone know if the VBIOS update on HP's site would work on this rig, being a Dell; and second, in the case that the HP drivers wouldn't work, would anyone know where or how to get the Dell update?

June 2nd, 2015 21:00

No response after a week. To be expected; this is a rare issue, by the looks of it.

I've tried the HP update at this point, via cmd, which simply said "no adapters found that were compatible with this update." Won't do further tests with that, since I don't want to risk anything with the DOS method.

In the wake of the Dell community's help (that's sarcasm), I've been trying to contact people on the thread linked in my previous post - specifically, people who said they could send the update to those who asked for it - to see if they might still have it.

Peace.

6 Posts

April 30th, 2016 08:00

Just a quick line to see if you had any luck obtaining the vbios for your Dell Quadro 6000???? I have exactly the same issue and no luck whatsoever getting this illusive update.

November 3rd, 2016 10:00

This reply is so late you probably won't even see, sorry about that. But for everyone else who might have this issue, there is no publicly available fix. It's just one of those things where Dell should've supplied a download to fix the problem but didn't.

For anyone wondering, instead of continuing a lost cause, I bought different GPUs to "resolve" the issue. Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, but it's the only one.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 12:00

Your right, unlike HP who do have a publicly available fix for their Q6000, Dell for some strange reason don't allow end users access to the update. But, rest assured there is one :-) Long story short... We gave up mailing them and rang explaining that we know the update exists as they issued it to us a few years back but it somehow got deleted. It took a couple of weeks of them apparently passing the problem from one team to another but they eventually sent us the vbios... The file is "Q6000_6F02_VBIOS_Update.zip". Hope this helps.

November 3rd, 2016 13:00

That's great news, glad you got it, that's farther along than I got. Any chance you could send me the vBIOS update, maybe by uploading it to Drive or Dropbox, or if I send you my email? If not, it's fine, I would just rather not wait two weeks for them to get to it.

19 Posts

January 6th, 2017 04:00

Hi Both, I'm struggling to get this update too - would one of you be able to share it with me?

January 6th, 2017 11:00

No Events found!