Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2011 10:00

new corsair ps wont power studio 540

I have new corsair tx 650 in my dell studio 540 and it wont boot up. I get a amber light on the front of tower and no video. the powersupply starts and all the fans but thats it.. i have tried resetting bios and removing all memory and cards with no luck.  I can use a different powersupply and can get in the bios and probably get in to windows but i didnt have hdd hooked up. ive tried 2 different vid.cards and onboard video with no luck. I read on this forum (i think) that someone put in a tx 750 in a studio 540 and it worked fine. this is my second tx650, the other one did the same thing at first, then it started going on and off when you tried to power up the pc. sent it back to newegg.  any suggestions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&cm_sp=Cat_Power Supplies-_-YTVideo-_-YT17-139-020

1.5K Posts

October 21st, 2011 12:00

Funny thing about power supplies.  Now if the TX750 worked, then a TX650 will work so I really don't know of any compatibility issue.  I had a TX650 in a 530 which is very similar to the 540 and it worked fine.  Hard to believe you could get two DOA's from Corsair, but I had two OCZ's that were DOA so you never know.   Have you tried to call Corsair support for their input?  I would do that before sending it back to Newegg again.   I just never had any problems at all with my TX650 and it is still going strong after about 2 years.  

October 20th, 2011 11:00

Hi, IF is steady amber light is power supply failure, only the +5VSB rail of the supply is working but is not posting, Ensure all power cables are securely connected to the system board. Ensure the main power cable and front panel cable are securely connected to the system board. If still the same issue replace the Power Supply. If is blinking amber, is caused by a hardware recently installed causing compatibility issues. Regards

6 Posts

October 20th, 2011 13:00

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical

power, but an internal power problem may exist.

– Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power

at your location, if applicable.

– Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the

system board (see the Service Manual for your computer).

• If the power light is steady amber, a device may be malfunctioning or

incorrectly installed.

– Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see the

documentation shipped with your computer).

– Remove and then reinstall any cards

6 Posts

October 21st, 2011 06:00

so if a different ps works then it rules out the last post right? its got to be the corsiar ps thats junk...? I thinking is it even compatible with the 540? is there something im missing here? whats the odds of having 2 doa ps?  

October 21st, 2011 08:00

Hi, if the power supply was already replaced and still the LED is steady amber, it could be related to the motherboard, also if the video is discrete (PCI Card) and not integrated could be too. So first try with a different board. Regards

6 Posts

October 21st, 2011 09:00

hi  thanks for your help. the first ps tx650 was doa so i got a replacement. the new powersuppy was the same steady amber light. so i tried a old ocz powersupply and it starts right up. if it was the board it wouldnt start up with the ocz power supply right?. is there any chance i bought the wrong powersupply?  thanks again

6 Posts

October 21st, 2011 11:00

i just hooked it up to a different mb and i get the same thing no video.

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 06:00

Thanks for your help. I will try to contact corsair.

6 Posts

June 19th, 2012 14:00

I bought a corsair TX 750, same as you, get a steady amber light on the front tower. Any suggestions on what you ended up solving the problem? thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 19th, 2012 15:00

No Events found!