Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2013 16:00

no ethernet adaptor in pc?

I have just bought a second hand DELL Dimension PC for my children and tried to install my Broadband  Internet (Netgear).. every time I enter the disc to download it onto system, it fails- giving me the reading NO ETHERNET ADAPTOR in PC?????

I only purchased it yesterday, and actually saw it up and running "online" before bringing it home, so I know it's capable of Installing internet on. Is there anything I can do to change this???

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 6th, 2013 19:00

What model PC and version of Windows?

2 Posts

February 7th, 2013 03:00

it's a DIMENSIONS 8250, on Windows XP

Diane x

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 7th, 2013 08:00

ETHERNET is not a standard option in an 8250 but there were versions that had INTEL or 3COM nic.

PCI devices do not properly enumerate before Chipset Drivers are installed. Unless you have a Router you can only have 1 machine on a DSL modem and that machine would have a PPPOE client.  If you change to a DSL Modem/Router then you have to UNISTALL the PPPOE client and use DHCP on each machine with its own cable AND setup the login and password and Dial up number usually #777 for DSL.  Cable modem is less of a problem because it does not have a client but it does require a router if one is not built in and or can only run 1 machine at a time. Some cable companys lock down the modem so that only 1 mac address works on the modem so you would have to do mac address cloning in the router.  None of the above is a Dell support issue its an ISP support issue.  Most ISP charge an install service to setup a network in your home.

Chipset - Driver

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.4.01.1001, A06
Adds OS support for the newest Intel Chipsets.
Not Defined 4.01.1001 10/10/2002 Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows 98

Network - Driver

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet , v.5.30, A00
NDIS 5.1 Driver
Recommended 5.30 4/29/2003 Windows XP
Intel 10/100 LOM, v.6.1.3.14, A04
Intel PRO/100 Network Drivers
Not Defined 6.1.3.14 3/21/2003 Windows XP
Windows 2000

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 7th, 2013 12:00

Was it using an old-fashioned dial-up (internal or external) modem when you saw it go on line? Do you see either a phone or ethernet port on the rear of the PC? You should also talk to the seller about how it went on line.  

Is the Netgear software you tried to install for a router or DSL/Cable modem?

If the system doesn't have a NIC card, you could buy an add-in PCI NIC card and use that to connect to a router and/or broadband modem.

No Events found!