Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 7th, 2016 15:00

noise level of XPS 8910

just got the dell xps 8910, i7, and I have it with Nvidia 1060 3GB. I am finding the noise level under load quite annoying. I am very close to return it. 

you guys have any idea of the "normal" DB noise level of the machine. the website elaborates how it is a "whisper" under load, but come one! everyone in my house can hear the computer when either rendering in Premiere or playing FIFA 17. 

is there a BIOS update that controls fans? I think it is powersupply fan that makes the annoying noise and comes on and off. could it be that the 1060 is drawing too much power for the comfort level of the PSU?

January 4th, 2017 11:00

There are many people complaining about the fan noise from the XPS 8910 and the Aurora R5--both are built on the same chassis and use the same power supplies.  The problem is the power supply, Delta Electronics D460AM-03 (Dell part GJXN1).  Here are some other threads on this same issue:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19990037

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19988878

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/320733/boards/technical-support-1/ForumPost/aurora-r5-loudest-power-supply-fan-ever-460watt-video

I had this noise problem, and it was coming from the D460AM-03 power supply that came with my XPS 8910.  I called Dell tech support, and they agreed to send me another power supply from a different manufacturer.  Unfortunately, the warehouse sent me the exact same (refurbished) power supply, and it still had the same noise issue.  I went back to the support technician, and he had a service tech come to my home with a different power supply.  This new power supply is the Shenzhen Huntkey HU460AM-01 (Dell part WC1T4).  This new power supply fixed the problem--the fan noise is gone and the computer is dead silent, even when running under full load!

This power supply had no fan noise

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 13th, 2017 06:00

Thanks to RockyMtnED for providing the part number for the working power supply.

A power supply is considered a CRU (customer replaceable unit). So no onsite service is needed. All with noisy power supplies should contact Technical Support for your region. Technical Support should setup a "Parts Only Service" to replace the current power supply with part number WC1T4. Read through the XPS 8910 Service Manual before you receive the replacement power supply to see how to swap out the power supplies. While the case cover is removed, use compressed air can to blow out all of the dust in every visible fan.

For my notes, look over the list below of all the XPS 8910 power supplies. If your power supply is defective/noisy, check for the 5 digit part number and let me know.

1C6CK 350w Delta
XD17F 350w Acbel
15D8R 350w Liteon
DM1RW 460w Acbel
PK61K 460w Acbel EPA
WC1T4 460w Huntkey
GJXN1 460w Delta (defective/noisy)
J98H5 460w Delta EPA

2 Posts

January 18th, 2017 11:00

I had the same issue with PSU p/n GJXN1.

Symptom: high fan speed with loud noise (like a hair dryer on a medium setting)

Timing of symptom: PSU fan would kick on to speed of 100% when CPU usage would DROP from 70%+ to anything lower.

Example: I would open up Project Felix (ADOBE) and begin a new project. I would move an object into the manipulation field. I opened up task manager so I could watch the CPU utilization percentage. With Project Felix open and while working on a project the CPU utilization hovered around 75%.

As soon as i would left click on the mouse to move the object within the program, 2 things would happen: 1) the CPU usage would drop to 10-20%  2) The fan speed would immediately kick into overdrive

I was able to replicate this over and over. It happened every time I clicked the mouse while in that particular program. I never encountered this fan issue with any other program. I do not use my PC for gaming, and none of my other programs use the CPU as much as Project Felix.

RESOLUTION

After reading this forum thread, I contacted DELL. Spent 1.5 hours on the phone doing diagnostics. They were unfamiliar with this issue. I got them to humor me and read this thread. They conferred with LEVEL 3 and decided that they would send someone out. I told them 2 things: 1)it would be better to replace the PSU for me otherwise I was sending the computer back   2)I told them I wanted the PSU replaced with PSU p/n WC1T4

The DELL guy came out today. Replaced the PSU with the one I asked for, and now I am happy!

NO MORE NOISE!!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 8th, 2016 19:00

Do you have the latest version of BIOS, Intel chipset drivers, video drivers etc?

If you installed a new video card, I don't think you can blame the XPS 8910. If you remove that 1060 video card and reinstall the OEM video card, does the problem go away? 

I pinged my Dell tech contacts about this thread and a related one.  

2 Posts

October 9th, 2016 08:00

I have the same issue.  Dell sent someone out and replaced the CPU and top fan, which helped a little, but running it with the case open I can tell it's the power supply fan.  It's mostly great, but when that fan kicks into high gear it can be heard across the house.  The onsite service the first time was a nightmare (multiple reschedules, and the new fan wasn't installed right).  I'm thinking it's just a loud fan, not a defect.  Is there a way to replace it with a quiet fan that doesn't void my warranty?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 10th, 2016 07:00

GlennCM,

The fan can be replaced without voiding the warranty, however, the fans have a sensor which tells the cpu is spinning.  Without the proper sensor, the cpu may not post, and shut down. Also, if you are still under warranty, the unit will have to be restored to it's original configuration (original fan) before tech support will troubleshoot.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 10th, 2016 11:00

Power supply fans typically can't be replaced without replacing the entre power supply. So is Glenn talking about the XPS 8910 chassis fan? 

#1 is the chassis fan, #4 is the power supply with its own fan.

2 Posts

October 10th, 2016 19:00

I'm talking about the power supply fan.  I took the side panel off so I could tell.  And I could even see that fan spin up and down coinciding with the sound.  Is the fan normally pretty loud when it's on full speed?  I really don't know if it's normally loud or there's something wrong with it.  I'd rather not go through a big hassle to get it replaced under warranty if the replacement will be equally loud.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 11th, 2016 11:00

The OP in this thread thinks it's his PSU fan too....hmmmm.... But like I said, power supply fans are usually not user replaceable so you'd need a whole new power supply.  

Unless there's something special about the PSU in the XPS 8910, I think most PSU fans run at constant speed. Both of you say the PSU fan changes speed so that may be something new/different.

Dell would have to tell us if the PSU fan speed is simply controlled by a temp sensor in the PSU or if BIOS has any role in controlling the PSU fan, in addition to BIOS controlling the CPU fan.

If that fan is strictly controlled by PSU temp, then the only fix may be getting a different PSU possibly with a quieter fan...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 11th, 2016 17:00

Can we get a picture of the noisy PSU in question? Just curious if it is the same model as they have been shipping for a while.

edit: I didn't realize the 8910 is a new chassis. Looks like a "new" and ( perhaps not ) improved model.

Looks very different from the PSU in XPS 8900, based on the "inside view" diagrams in the 2 service manuals...

1.2K Posts

October 11th, 2016 17:00

Can we get a picture of the noisy PSU in question? Just curious if it is the same model as they have been shipping for a while.

edit: I didn't realize the 8910 is a new chassis. Looks like a "new" and ( perhaps not ) improved model.

25 Posts

October 14th, 2016 20:00

thanks GlennCM for sharing. would the tech support argue noise level was normal? did they suggest a decibel level of noise that was normal? just curious

25 Posts

October 14th, 2016 20:00

thanks too all; on the issue of whether it is caused by installing the Nvidia 1060, I see the point but even if that were the case, I don't think I would be at fault as the machine is advertised as upgradable up to 225 watts GPU.

I might need to do the same example above and run it with the panel open for a while, to confirm is the PSU fan. however, I must say, I am about to send it for a refund, and save a bit more for a Precision or equivalent machine that I understand have better ventilation and are designed more to be on heavy load.

to my untrained eye, I think the design has a problem of having the PSU on top of the CPU fan. I dont get why someone would chose to block the airflow of the CPU. the old chasis XPS 8900 had the PSU on a corner.

25 Posts

October 14th, 2016 21:00

RoHe thanks for the suggestions. yes my first step was to update BIOS, and everything I could think of. as a side comment, the auto-detect drivers of the support website fails. so I had to update by hand.

to be honest, I never ran it with the stock 750Ti, as I have no intention of using it that way anyway. I dont know if modifying the original config is driving the auto-detect crazy.

50 Posts

October 15th, 2016 02:00

I'm running the 8910 with the OEM GTX970 and I have to say that it is by far the quietest Dell desktop I've owned (this is my sixth), and I run it with the side cover off. That's because I'm having a horrible overheating problem but noise is not the issue. I would agree that it's likely the system reacting to the nonOEM video card.

No Events found!