Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2010 07:00

optiplex 740 - AMD

I'm getting conflicting reports and even when chatting with a Dell tech, it didn't really answer any of my questions. I do not know if it is the enhanced version of the 740 or regular Optiplex 740.  It does have the - YP806 motherboard.
I was under the assumption that this was a 939 socket but now I'm seeing this is a AM2. Well which one is it.?
I need to get a processor but am I looking for a Brisbane, Windsor, Toledo or Manchester in the Athlon 64 x2 group.?
MENTAL ANGUISH..! PLEASE HELP.!
I do have a vague list the Dell guy gave me but not enough detailed info to verify my thoughts and answer.

15 Posts

July 15th, 2010 16:00

Now the green light in the front of the unit is green but the light on the motherboard is yellow. might stay yellow, I do not know. Computer does not boot up, it just powers on with fan running but not boot or display..?
I installed an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket AM2 ADO3800IAA5CU, 65w, F2, 90nm.
I'm going to try an ADA3800IAA5CU, 89w next and see what happens.
Open for input please.

15 Posts

July 24th, 2010 16:00

RAM slot or should I say expansion bay is bad on motherboard, got a hold of the LED codes and read display on tower when booted.
I adjusted the RAM accordingly and WHAM.! So even the RAM was compat.. it was the bay the entire time.
Now, should I change out the boards but the second board does have different model numbers but both are for the 740MT.?
Should I just get a 2gb stick of RAM to compensate the lack of one bay and still get (my self-required) 4gb of RAM.?
Everything else with the unit is just about done, a newer wireless card pci-e (mini) to leave me a regular pci slot for a TV card or something
and upgrade to a faster cpu.
Done.
What to do about the board though.?

412 Posts

July 24th, 2010 23:00

So I'm trying to figure out what's up here, lol. You've got a lot of thoughts running together.

Ok so you're looking for a new CPU but are unsure about the model of the motherboard... Well I owuld say got to the tech support part of Dell.com & type in your service tag number for your computer. Along the left-hand side you should see where it has listed "system configuration". In that document is where your origninal parts for your Optiplex should be listed & that will tell you motherboard model number. From there you can determine what CPU you need.

Where *I* am confused at is that is seems you already got a new mothberoard & CPU? So you want to know what to do with the old motherboard? You mention something about a drive not working & apparently reseating your RAM to restore functionality...

I want to help but I want to know what you're trying to say. Not to put too fine a point on this: punctuation & full sentences would help. Leave out things like "adjusted accordingly & WHAM!" As a tech offering advice, I'm not sure what's going on there.

So post back, please. I'm very interested to assist just need some clarification on my end.

No Events found!