Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2007 21:00

performance

I would like to get a straight answer about slow performance. I need to know if it my system, or another problem. I have a Dimension 8200,pentium 4 processor at 1.7GHz, 128MB RDRAM,40GB Hard Drive. I have installed Norton system works about 6 months ago. Before you even suggest it, no, I do not have a virus, or spyware operating in the back gorund. Norton does a superb job of monitoring signatures, blocking unauthorized access, and running automatic virus scans, and downloading all updates through live update. I also down load all available updates from microsoft.
I am having shut down problems,having to use the power button, ( at times, not always...) I am having trouble with closing windows, and at times, it just locks up. Do I have too much going on for 128MB of memory ? When I ordered this in 2001, I was a brand new pc user. I put my trust in Dell to give me what I needed to operate windows xp and other applications. I don't feel I am over loaded, so why the slow performance?
Thanks, Mary

43 Posts

February 4th, 2007 23:00

Mary , I'M no expert but it looks like you may need more memory I thought win Xp suggest 512Mb of ram I have A 6 year old 8100 thats been upgraded from a 1.4G CPU to a 2.6G also 1024mb of memory upgraded power supply & video card & it runs great, so you have many options for upgradeing if you so choose Their may be many more issues for the slow performance. you could try reinstalling windows first, to get ride of the junk check www.crucial.com for memory also try free downloads for Adware & Spyware Removal at cnet.com that could slow a PC down aswell go to http://www.download.com/Security-Spyware/2001-2023_4-0.html?tag=dir cheers Dave

Message Edited by Davfu on 02-04-2007 11:02 PM

4 Posts

February 6th, 2007 08:00

Heh, thanks for the reply. What I don't understand, is why Dell sold me my system, knowing windows xp needed more memory. When I ordered it over the phone, I told them exactly what I would be using my pc for, and they put the system together. I was a complete novice, so never requested what I wanted, with regard to power or memory. Any way, it can get costly to upgrade. How did you upgrade your processor speed. ? I know, Dell can sell you more memory, which you just "clip in," but I wasn't aware the processor speed could be changed that simply. I am thinking, with the new Vista Os, none of this will work. I know that needs 512mb of memory.
Have a good day, Mary

43 Posts

February 6th, 2007 11:00

The more memory the better, but you could find it less costly other venders then Dell I used crucial or zipzoomfly Dell does not have the best prices on upgrades I used a powerleap which is not produced any longer
No Events found!