Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 18th, 2005 01:00

placing subwoofer next to computer

I would like to know if it's okay to place my computer (not monitor) one foot from a subwoofer. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 18th, 2005 09:00

Not a problem, computer speakers are shielded and the PC is also shielded.

2.7K Posts

August 18th, 2005 20:00

i wouldn't place the subwoofer next to a crt screen, by dell subwoofer isn't sheilded lol,, it doesn't effect lcd thou...

2.7K Posts

August 19th, 2005 02:00

lol, i have a 120 watt 10inch sub it does nothing,

2.7K Posts

that is insane,,, how far asway was your speaks to your screen or obviously your sub nor speakers had any sheilding at all!!!

592 Posts

Of course are shielded, they are THX certified!
But there is a limit as to how much you can shield without making the weight prohibitive.
The sub alone in my computer system in my sig weighs 40 pounds and includes the amp.
And you wouldn't want it 2 feet away from your face near your monitor.
The computer subs these days sound very good and have integrated the improvements in home theater technology.

Its insane to use puny little plastic subs that have 2 gram magnets.
I know because I've done cheap and never again.

Message Edited by korrson on 08-18-2005 11:20 PM

592 Posts

seiyafan wrote:I would like to know if it's okay to place my computer (not monitor) one foot from a subwoofer. Thanks

Well how BIG a subwoofer?
Big Subwoofers have big magnets and even the highest quality just can't be put a foot away from a CRT.
Of course some monitors are shielded better than others and LCDs should not be affected at all.
But years ago I did have a little $100 system that was a foot away.

My sub is not top of the line but 2 feet away from the monitor wasn't enough.
Its only 100 watts and 10" throw but I had to place it on the floor 4 feet away.
At the same height even 5 feet wasn't enough, so place it down and away.
And there are even bigger ones of course.

Just try it an see. It will be instantly apparent if there is a problem because you will see weird colors and pattern on the CRT screen.

Message Edited by korrson on 08-18-2005 11:14 PM

17 Posts

August 19th, 2005 12:00

Well, the subwoofer is from Dell 5650 100W 5.1

147 Posts

August 19th, 2005 12:00

If you crank up the volume, a subwoofer can vibrate the heck out of things that are near it. That would be my concern about placing it a foot from the computer. For example, your hard drive spins with its head barely above the platter. Big booming bass might not be good for it. Other than this, I don't think the subwoofer's magnet would affect the computer at a distance of one foot.

592 Posts

August 20th, 2005 18:00

>>>Well, the subwoofer is from Dell 5650 100W 5.1<<<

And how much does the magnet weigh?
Its the magnet that effects the beam of a CRT monitor.
Watts usually don't have much to do with the sound of a speaker either.

You can have good sounding 50 watt speakers and bad sounding 200 watt speakers.

Is the subwoofer from Dell made of plastic?
I had a plastic subwoofer once and it made a "creeking" sound at times.
That's why I stayed away from Dell speakers this time.
Wood and metal are the best materials for subwoofers.

>>>the subwoofer's magnet would affect the computer at a distance of one foot.<<<
On small woofers that were designed to be placed on your desk the magnet may not be big enough to effect the CRT.
On some speakers it does. But these speakers can put out so much bass without any rattles at all that you could not stand it 3 feet in from of your face!
And you make a very good point that it could affect a hard drive if the woofer is blasting right at your case.

Also bass sounds are non positional. That's why in home theater systems they can be on either side of the screen and hidden away in a corner if you want.

Message Edited by korrson on 08-20-2005 02:19 PM

No Events found!