Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2017 14:00

power supply for Optiplex 3020 Corei5

Does anyone know if I can use standard ATX power supply with this computer It has 8pin + 4pin plugs and looks like it does't use standard connections. I want to replace the original SFF case and use a mini ATX one. If not possible can i use plug converter and in this case will I need converter for both 8 and 4 pin and where to find this.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 25th, 2017 04:00

You will need something like this

www.moddiy.com/.../Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%2dPin-to-8%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(30cm).html

That said, the adapter will be the least of the challenges you'll face in moving a proprietary Optiplex board to a standard case.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 25th, 2017 09:00

The motherboard has a different layout and the IO shield is non-detachable.

Unless you're wanting to use it for high-end gaming, you're better off to leave it as it is. I have one of these and it is very fast, apart from the graphics.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 25th, 2017 14:00

Some of them (starting with the non-removeable I/O shield) are listed above.  Then there's the non-standard case wiring and the non-standard form factor of the board itself.

Retrofitting this into another case will require quite a bit of on the fly engineering - both wiring and cutting sheet metal.

4 Posts

Thanks for the information. The case is too small there is no space between the power supply and PCI slot, i can't even use GT 730. As you said it is really fast PC, shame I can't use a decent Graphics card with it.  

4 Posts

Thanks for the explanation It looks too much complicated, I have some skills but I think this is beyond them. If I may ask one last question do you have any suggestions for a suitable and more powerful power supply to use with the same case.

4 Posts

Thanks so much. Can you give me a hint what kind of challenges you mean.

No Events found!