Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2013 18:00

product key #

Can someone please tell me where I can the product key # for my windows eight, I have to reinstall  it and I don't know where to look for it

19 Posts

July 24th, 2013 21:00

Can someone please tell me where I can the product key # for my windows eight, I have to reinstall  it and I don't know where to look for it

There are various tools to find the Product Key for Windows 8. NirSoft has Produkey. It reads the Product ID in the registry and converts it to the Product Key.

Another one:  Windows 8 Product Key Viewer 1.4.7d will find the Product Key that is supposed to be in the BIOS; if it doesn't find it there it will do the same thing that Produkey does and finds the Product ID in the registry and converts it to your Product Key.

However, you need to use a Dell Windows 8 Recovery Media for Windows 8 (Operating System) to reinstall the O/S. Supposedly a retail disk will not work.

Call up tech support and ask them for it.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 24th, 2013 18:00

Hi bralady,

If your system was shipped with Windows 8 pre-installed from the factory, there should be a recovery partition present on your system. You can restore your computer to factory settings using the steps below. It will not ask for a product key. These steps are only applicable if you system is booting into Windows.
Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well. 

• Point to the right hand corner of the screen to bring up the charms bar.
  • Click Settings.

• Click the shutdown button, hold down the Shift Key and click Restart from the options provided.

• The system restarts, login and click Troubleshoot.

• Click the Dell Backup and Recovery icon.

• The system restarts and comes back up, click Next on the Dell Backup and Recovery Screen.

• The system would be checked to see if the smart repair option can fix the issue, click Next once this is done.

• You will be prompted to select the backup to be used, click the factory image option or select from one of the backups. Click Next.

• You will be prompted to backup your files, if needed do so by selecting the option Yes, backup my personal files (Make sure to have an external backup hard drive handy.) or select No, Erase my files.

• The system goes ahead and completes the restore of the operating system. Click Restart when prompted.

• Follow the on-screen instructions to setup the system with windows.

Hope this helps.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 25th, 2013 08:00

Belarc Advisor can get the key if windows is still running.

belarc.com/free_download.html

Only download from Belarc.com and not several sites that include malware.

2 Posts

April 14th, 2017 12:00

Hi,

When I purchased my Allienware last year, I also bought an original windows 10 license. Could you please let me know where I can find my product key in case i need to format my computer?

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 14th, 2017 13:00

Hi,

When I purchased my Allienware last year, I also bought an original windows 10 license. Could you please let me know where I can find my product key in case i need to format my computer?

Thank you.

Artista88

You do not need a product key to reinstall W-10, it's automatically activated later.

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

Bev.

No Events found!