Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2006 07:00

"PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA"

Hi there everyone. I've recently run into an error that I've NEVER seen before. It's one of those blue screen of death errors :(. It only started this week and it reads "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area". It only seems to happen when my computer is sitting idle. It has never happened when I am using the machine, only when it's just sitting there. I've had this system for about 4 years now and never had this problem before. I did put new RAM in during the past year, and I don't know if that could be the problem. I also get a weird error when I close internet explorer sometimes. It's a dialog box that says something like "memory error" and "the memory could not be "read"" "press OK to terminate the program". This error has only come up when I close IE and never any other program. As for the blue screen error, I have no idea what causes it because it only happens when the computer is doing nothing. Weird, eh? This might be a very user-specific problem and I don't expect anyone to have a simple solution to this problem. Could this be bad RAM? I don't suppose it's bad RAM because the fatal error is fairly recent, and the other memory error only happens with the internet explorer program. I'm about to do more tests to see if it is bad RAM, but I think that's unlikely. ANY ADVICE (at all) IS MOST APPRECIATED since this problem seems to be so unique. XD

4.8K Posts

August 20th, 2006 11:00

bassmann710,

The error message definitely points to failing RAM.  Run memory diagnostics on your system overnight (8 hours or more) to give it a good test.  While not likely, it is possible that removing and reinstalling your system RAM will fix your problem.

Steve

62 Posts

August 21st, 2006 05:00

Thank you for the advice...too bad...I bought this RAM no more than a year ago...

4.8K Posts

August 21st, 2006 10:00

bassman710,

Most RAM has a lifetime warranty.  You can check with the vendor or with the manufacturer name shown on the memory modules.

Steve

1 Message

September 7th, 2006 18:00

I have also been noticing these blue screen errors on my girlfriends new XPS dual core (which was bought only a few months ago). How do you run RAM diagnostics ?

thanks
-xpstrouble

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 7th, 2006 19:00

xpstrouble

Try running Dell extended diagnostics. Reboot the computer, when the Dell logo appears, press F12, a boot device list appears, highlight the "Boot to Utility" partition and press "Enter".

Or, you could use    http://www.memtest86.com/

Bev.
No Events found!