Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 9th, 2014 11:00

"Rapid Storage Technology" (RST) driver: Dimension 8300?

How do I update the "Rapid Storage Technology" (RST) driver of my Dell Dimension 8300?

Would that be by applying the latest (7 July 2012) Chipset driver for my service tag?  

FWIW, my WinXP OS is having trouble with Advanced Format hard drives.

Edit: When I try to run the above-mentioned Chipset Driver (v5.00.1012), I get an error ("The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility requires a supported chipset platform running on a supported operating system.  Check the System Requirements section of the README.TXT file for more information.")

When I look at the README.TXT I see WinXP is supported, but it says to use a floppy (for  an existing OS; see 9A) and I have no floppy.  Do I need to get one?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 9th, 2014 17:00

If you're really talking about an old Dimension 8300 and not an XPS 8300, it appears that the Dimension 8300 uses a Promise SATA controller so the Intel Matrix Storage Manager may not be compatible. (Note: "RST" only came much later and is for newer chipsets and probably doesn't work with XP.)

What problems are you having with "Advanced Format" hard drives? What size is that HDD and are you trying to use it for a boot hard drive, or for storage?

BTW: You do know that XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and there won't be any new security updates or patches released, so your system may potentially be at risk for malware...

88 Posts

November 10th, 2014 05:00

If you're really talking about an old Dimension 8300 and not an XPS 8300

Yes, the old Dimension 8300.  I'm broke.

, it appears that the Dimension 8300 uses a Promise SATA controller so the Intel Matrix Storage Manager may not be compatible. (Note: "RST" only came much later and is for newer chipsets and probably doesn't work with XP.)

What problems are you having with "Advanced Format" hard drives? What size is that HDD and are you trying to use it for a boot hard drive, or for storage?

The AF hard drives this WinXP OS can't see are 2TB, and being used only for storage not to as boot/system drives.

The BIOS can see it, and Norton Ghost (in WinXP and the Ghost boot CD) can see the AF drives even though they doesn't appear anywhere (including Disk Management) except Device Manager.

I read that there might be a jumper pin 7-8 fix  for the WD drives but I only have the Seagate now and it has only 4 pins.

I tried formating the STCL2000400 on a Win7Pro computer but the WinXP computer's OS still couldn't see it.  

I tried using the Ghost boot CD to populate the AF drive with a Restore (of the drive contents I want to populate this AF drive).  No joy.

[Even if there is a jumper fix I'm a bit hesitant to use a it, because googling told me that the drive wouldn't then work under Win7.  Though figure I can copy the data off first (or later with Hiren's WinXP), or perhaps restorre it from a Ghost image.]

My other (now Win7Pro) WinXP computer had NO problem at all stuffed full of advanced format drives both as Ghost backup source drives and Ghost backup destination drives.  So again, I know there's something amiss with this particular WinXP OS.

BTW: You do know that XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and there won't be any new security updates or patches released, so your system may potentially be at risk for malware...

Yes I know and I swore I would upgrade prior to 4/14/14, but my life is getting in the way.

88 Posts

November 10th, 2014 09:00

p.s.  On (of all places) the Norton Ghost forum, someone (I think helpfully) suggested it must be a driver issue, and pointed out that while the 8300 has an Intel chopset it uses a Promise SATA controller.  So I went to http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dimension-8300/drivers

and under "Serial ATA" installed the 3'rd one listed (8MB) since the first 2 are for floppy setup discs. 

It didn't solve the issue though.  I've gone to promise.com but I can't figure out what "product" on their legacy downloads page

www.promise.com/.../page.aspx;m=719&sub_m=sub_m_8&rsn=144

is in my Dell.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 10th, 2014 21:00

Is the 2T drive SATA3? The motherboard in the D8300 likely only has SATA1, and SATA3 drives aren't always fully backward compatible with SATA1. Some WD SATA3 drives have a jumper to force them to run as SATA2, but they still may not be fully compatible back to SATA1.

It's also possible the old chipset on the D8300 motherboard and/or BIOS just can't handle a drive that big. And software won't fix that. Have you tried partitioning the 2T drive into several smaller NTFS drives, assuming the drive will work with SATA1?

88 Posts

November 11th, 2014 06:00

Is the 2T drive SATA3?

Yes, all the AF drives this OS has trouble with have also been SATA3.  However...

The motherboard in the D8300 likely only has SATA1, and SATA3 drives aren't always fully backward compatible with SATA1. Some WD SATA3 drives have a jumper to force them to run as SATA2, but they still may not be fully compatible back to SATA1.

Sorry I failed to note that on the same computer when I boot to the WinXP OS on a Hirens Boot CD, it has no trouble with the AF/SATA3 drives.  So it seems to me that the OS driver theory is more likely than the SATA3 theory.

It's also possible the old chipset on the D8300 motherboard and/or BIOS just can't handle a drive that big. And software won't fix that. Have you tried partitioning the 2T drive into several smaller NTFS drives, assuming the drive will work with SATA1?

This computer is stuffed full of older 2TB drives with which it has no problem at all.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 11th, 2014 13:00

This computer is stuffed full of older 2TB drives with which it has no problem at all.

I'd check with the drive manufacturer. When I was looking for new drive form this D8400, I saw a number of SATA3 drives that were specifically marked on the box as not being compatible with SATA1. Just because one works doesn't mean they'll all work...unfortunately.

Best you can probably do is update the Intel Chipset driver and make sure you have latest version of BIOS on the D8300.

No Events found!