Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 11th, 2015 10:00

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media"

After running Dell support assist this evening a new BIOS update was recc. for my desktop. I updated from AO7 to AO9 (apparently released on the 30/06/15). However, after being prompted to reboot my system, after the update, the above error message appeared. So after selecting F12 to reset the boot options I could not set it to the harddrive so I selected "windows manager" instead and the system booted fine again. Just wondering if anyone else has come across this and also have I the boot options set to the correct setting. Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you

Karen 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 11th, 2015 17:00

Always include the exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts. :emotion-5:

Do you have to press F12 every time you cold boot now to select the boot drive?

If yes, reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the Boot Sequence settings and make sure your boot hard drive is first on that list. Be sure to save the change before exiting BIOS setup.

7 Posts

July 12th, 2015 04:00

Hi Ron

P.C.: Alienware X 51 R2

thanks for taking the time to reply.

As mentioned in my previous post when I set the boot option to "windows Boot Manager" the desktop did boot normally. So when I did access the computer I decided to do a refresh and get rid of the changes made earlier. The process started fine but then on restart it went to a blue screen. I had to shut the system down again, the Alienware logo with the BIOS update (Version AO9) appears and then I am given the option to press F2 or F12. I have tried both with no luck. It simply brings me back to the error message again when I select the harddrive as the 1st boot option or if I select "windows Boot Manager" as the 1st option it brings me to a blue screen since I attempted the P.C. refresh.

The System is under warranty but I would rather not have the hassle of contacting support if I can avoid it.

If you have any more info I really would appreciate it.

Thanks again

Karen 

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

July 12th, 2015 16:00

Exactly what does that BSOD say?

Is your boot drive a hard drive (HDD) or a solid state drive (SSD)?

Power off and then power back on. IMMEDIATELY press F2 to see if you can get into BIOS setup.

You may have to contact tech support, at least to get the Win 8.1 reinstallation media - if you don't already have it. And you may need Tech Support's assistance if -possibly- there's a drive failure... 

Dell should give you free software support within first 30 days, so you may want to take advantage of that to get this resolved. Or, if you're within first 21 days from invoice date (not delivery date) you should be able to exchange the system.

BTW: It's not a good idea to update BIOS unless the update fixes a problem you actually have because there's always a chance it will fail, and require a motherboard replacement...

7 Posts

July 13th, 2015 04:00

Thanks again Ron for the detailed. Rather then take that on myself I think I'll contact support. But thanks for the assistance.

No Events found!