Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 29th, 2015 16:00

(redirected) USB Flash Drive Boot (BiOS) - Black Screen/Freezing/Endless Loading - Need Help!

Hello Dell Community:

I have been using an Inspiron Desktop for work. Work requires me to boot a USB flash drive every morning to access work files and programs. I simply press F12 and select the USB flash drive which then brings me into an Ubuntu workplace after entering my credentials - very easy.

I recently purchased the X51 Desktop because I wanted to game after work and the intention was to replace the Inspiron. 

X51 Problems (BiOS boot - secure boot off like with the Inspiron):

UEFI = I will get a black screen after "loading...", this freezes the entire system

Legacy = I am told to reboot system and drive and the mesage repeats no matter what is pressed

I have tried different USB slots, different kernals to access the USB - nothing works! 

I tested another theory which was to disable the GPU of the X51 however this proved futile because the problems replicated themselves. The GPU is the only unique component between both desktops. CPU is i3 vs i5, 4g vs 8g, 1TB vs 2TB, so I not see these specification improvements being the culprit. The X51 does have a different BiOS interface unique to Alienware.

The X51 will be returned to Dell unless someone can some up with a solution - I would be eternally grateful, thank you. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 29th, 2015 17:00

Best to this post in the Alienware Owners Club Forum, here:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/default.aspx

Bev.

No Events found!