Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2009 09:00

start up time

this is a quick and maybe basic (unfortunately not for me:emotion-6: ) question:

what should be the time interval between me hitting the power switch and actually getting functional on the desktop? the reason to ask this is more for assurance as i have just removed a few trojan horses and a virus from the pc and feel that the time interval mentioned above has incresed significantly. Could there be MORE:emotion-12: malware or viruses lurking about??!! help!!

i have an inspiron 530 and run win xp home. i have checked my start up applications and besides the "required winlogon", have adobe reader quicklaunch, catalyst control centre for ATi and mcafee anti virus running at startup. basically, nothing extraordinary.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 10:00

I recently got hit with a Trojan myself.

What I would do if I were you is to download at a different PC a program called Spybot Search and Destroy.

Disconnect your PC from the network. Install the program. Run the program and see what it finds.

There are several such programs. I happen to have it installed so I ran it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 3rd, 2009 11:00

tamilgirl,

A quick check is to disconnect all of your USB devices except for mouse and keyboard. If the boot time is faster after doing this, you will know that the PC is hanging on some USB device.

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2009 13:00

thank  you for the suggestion, ieee488. i ran spybot S&D. no problems found.

Dell-chris m, tried just that. removed the ext hard drive from usb port and restarted..................:emotion-6: sorry, still appears to have a lag time. what would you consider an accepted time (with the above specs) from start to functional?

No Events found!