Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2012 15:00

t5400 strange errors

so my t5400 crashed and wouldn't recover, bad memory controller. So i bought a replacement MB on eBay. installed it, machine powered up, and i tried to set the configuration. it restarted and wouldn't post. only 2 short beeps.

so i did everything shy of sacrificing the chicken under my desk, gave up and retried today. plugged it in, started up no worries, needed to set the bios for the SSD. rebooted. nothing. 2 short beeps.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

QM (forum didn't let me use any of my own names)
< ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

October 2nd, 2012 17:00

i know it's not a published error code, and it's 2 short beeps. just 2. and like i said, system powers on and posts 1 time, gets as far as it will get with a bios not being set, reboots & won't post. and it really is just 2 beeps. 1,2,3 are lit on the front. and how do i edit my previous post?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 17:00

It's violation of the forum's terms of use to post an email address. Please remove it before your thread is deleted.

Check color of 4 diagnostic LEDs on front of case when it won't boot. Error codes here. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Two beeps is not a published error code <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for Precision T5400. Could it actually be 2-2-2, which would be a RAM error? Open case and reseat RAM modules in their slots. Make sure they're installed as matched pairs in the correct slots too.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 10:00

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reseat RAM modules, PCI cards and check all cables at both ends
  6. Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
  7. See if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

To edit a post, log in and look for small "pencil" icon below the post you want to edit. Click the pencil and make your changes. You can only edit your own posts. :emotion-5:

October 6th, 2012 11:00

no go.

same thing.

2 beeps.

guess i scrap it and build something else. :(

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 6th, 2012 17:00

1. Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  2. Open case and remove all PCI cards, except video card
  3. Remove all RAM modules except the one in slot 1 (closest to CPU); make note of which module came out of which slot. Slots 1-4 have white rentention clips; slots 5-8 have black clips; RAM should always be installed in slots 1-4 first and then into 5-8, if there are more than 4 modules.
  4. Disconnect all drives, except boot hard drive
  5. Remove motherboard battery
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall battery and see if it boots now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached

Repeat the process but swap all RAM modules into slot 1, one at a time. If you identify a bad module (eg, PC doesn't boot), you will have to replace that module as a matched pair even if the other module in the pair is OK.

If all modules work in slot 1, add one to slot 2 and do the "battery thing". If that works, keep populating the RAM slots including the "battery thing" until you ID a bad slot or all modules are reinstalled.

If it fails no matter which RAM module is in slot 1, you may have a motherboard failure, CPU failure or video card failure. Since you've already replaced the motherboard without solving the problem, that might suggest a CPU or video card failure.

If you can reinstall all RAM modules and it boots OK, reinstall one PCI card at a time until all are reinstalled or you ID a bad PCI card. Do the "battery thing" each time you add new hardware. If you can successfully reinstall all PCI cards, then start reconnecting drives etc...

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 04:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                              

No Events found!