Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2010 19:00

transferring files from computer to computer, kinda complicated

I recently got a stripped down Dimension 8300 from my job for nothing, and I was planning to just keep it as a backup to my old reliable Dimension 2400, which is almost 7 yrs old. The 2400 had 1.256 gig in it and the 8300 had two 512 mb sticks, so I thought I'd take one of these, and put it in the 2400 after taking out the 256 mb stick.  This worked fine, except I must not have put the 1 gb stick back in the slot right  b/c only the 512 registered when I hooked everything back up.  So I unhooked all and made sure the 1 gb was secure in the slot, but when I rehooked and turned the computer on, there was a beeping by the monitor cable and the monitor wouldn't work.  I tried another one but same result.  So I took the memory out and put it in the 8300 and that's what I'm using now.

First question I guess, does anybody have any idea what the heck I might have done to screw up the monitor connection?  Because if I can get that fixed easily, then I won't have to deal with the second question, which is, under the setup I described, what would be the best way to transfer files from the 2400 to the 8300?  I am most concerned about the hundreds of music files--purchased and ripped--as well as custom mixes on the 2400 (and no, I didn't back them up in any way, fool that I am.)  Is there a way to do transfer them directly, even though I have no monitor capability on the 2400, or would it be better if I just took the hard drive from the 2400 and put it onto the 8300?  (I would need instructions on both options.)  As I said, though, I would dearly love to be able to use the ol' 2400 again--it worked like a dream, and also, even with all the music and such on it, it still had over 50.6 gb free of 74.5, which is 20 gb more than the 8300 has. (And if I can get it working again, I promise to get a flash drive or whatever as backup!)

You guys helped me greatly once before, so if you all have any suggestions this time, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Rico

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 19th, 2010 04:00

The monitor cable won't "beep"   If you are getting beeps from the 2400 that is diagnostic beeps that are coming from the 2400's maintenance beeper on the motherboard.  Obviously the 2400 is not booting up so there is no video.  The number and sequence of beeps, and diagnostic lights, can help determine the problem.  HERE is the 2400's troubleshooting from the Dell manual.

The first thing is to check the memory module in the 2400 and make sure it's properly installed.  The next step is to reset the CMOS (BIOS) by removing the CR2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard for about 10 minutes.  With the apparently incompatible memory you installed it could have corrupted the BIOS and resetting may fix it.   The other possibility is that the memory module was damaged; they are static sensitive and touching the components or printed circuit potentially can damage the memory module. 

As far as transferring the user data (that is all that can be transferred, you can't transfer programs as they must be "installed").  You can temporarily connect the hard drive to 8300, by "borrowing" (using) the power and data cables from a CD drive and using those so you can copy the files to the 8300. 

2400 manual     8300 manual

both manuals detail how to remove and install drives. 

6 Posts

September 19th, 2010 10:00

OK I feel stupid.  So I reinstalled the memory--properly--and voila the 2400 is back!  Thanks for your help, fireberd.

P.S.  I downloaded carbonite today to address the backup issue.  Seems pretty good so far.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 19th, 2010 21:00

... what would be the best way to transfer files from the 2400 to the 8300?  I am most concerned about the hundreds of music files--purchased and ripped--as well as custom mixes on the 2400 (and no, I didn't back them up in any way, fool that I am.)  Is there a way to do transfer them directly, even though I have no monitor capability on the 2400, or would it be better if I just took the hard drive from the 2400 and put it onto the 8300?

Drive cloning will transfer everything, including installed programs, but getting the OS install to boot up in the target computer can be challenging. (Sometimes it's easy.)  I have an XP Professional install among the partitions on my quad core's 2tb hard drive originally created for an Athlon 1.1 Ghz back in the fall of 2004, and that's the technique I used.

Acronis True Image Home comes with a bootable CD that can be used to make an exact copy of one drive's contents to another and can be had online for around $40.

No Events found!