Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2014 16:00

unable to run download, device drivers marked critical

Hello, XPS 2010, running Vista 32 bit. I ran the system utility to diagnose issues because my computer would go into standby and crash. It said I need a critical blue screen download, but it will not download. I have tried this download in both Chrome and IE.  The anti virus is turned off when I attempt this. Same results. This is the message I get when I try to download the fix:

c:program files\mydell\pcdrcui.exe  The data area passed to a system call is too small

no idea what this means, or what to do.

Please help, John

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 06:00

Hi John,

Try going to downloads directly, locating the update and downloading manually.

11 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 17:00

Hi Osprey,

While it sounds good, I have no idea how to do that. Their diagnostic tool does not tell me what download is needed. Also, where are the drivers? I'll go look, but I am trying to search by my machine model and am not finding them.

Thanks, John

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 18:00

You may need to uninstall the old version and then download/install the latest version of My Dell.

11 Posts

May 23rd, 2014 20:00

Wow, I must not be able to express myself well. Blue screen, analysis says download is critical and then it will not download. It does not say what download I need.  No number or what type of download, so I do not have a category. I cannot locate all drivers to this computer and do not know where to look. 

Uninstall the old version of what? I have no idea of what driver is corrupted. I have no idea of where to find an individual or group of drivers.  So, where do I find a list of drivers on my Dell? Then, how do I determine which one (s) need to be downloaded?

Thanks! John

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2014 06:00

John,

What is the model number? I don't know of an XPS 2010 desktop.

11 Posts

May 24th, 2014 10:00

Got the model from the back. Dell detects it as an XPS one. It is an all in one.

Thanks for keeping on this, I appreciate that.

John

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2014 13:00

Try downloading the Dell Support Center. Then let's see if it's able to identify any critical driver updates.

11 Posts

May 24th, 2014 18:00

Odd, I tried to run it. It did download, but when I went to install it, then the C prompt window flashed and went away. No asking for permissions, nothing. Any other ideas?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 24th, 2014 20:00

The error message in your first post says c:program files\mydell\pcdrcui.exe

pcdrcui.exe is PCDoctor, a part of the My Dell software package. Uninstall My Dell and then follow the instructions at link I provided to download and reinstall it.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 25th, 2014 11:00

John,

What is the model number? I don't know of an XPS 2010 desktop.

The XPS M2010 is listed as a Laptop:

http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/xps-m2010.html

However its more of an all in one.

There is also the XPS 2010:

http://ftp.dell.com/published/Pages/xps-one.html

This is an all in one but often referred to as "XPS One".

I assume you are trying to run Online Diagnostics:

http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/uk/en/ukdhs1

11 Posts

May 25th, 2014 17:00

XPS One, all in one computer.   The 2010 is a model number from the receipt.

Running Vista, 32 bit. The problem persists. 

Thanks, John

11 Posts

May 30th, 2014 00:00

Hi all,  I finally uninstalled My Dell and sucessfully re installed it. Took 5 tires. The My Dell program will nt run in Chrome, so I ran it in I.E. . The first system scan says all passed. Then I moved on to the Blue Screen trouble shooter. It said I have a critical issue. I ran the Blue Screen Analyzer and again, it stops. Here is the message, slightly different than the first one posted:

The data area passed to a system is too small.

I tried some other tests on dell and also got this: Checkcode oxoooooooA

driver C:windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe

version 6.0.6006.1881

device unknown

So, now what do I do?

Thanks, John

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 30th, 2014 13:00

According to this from Microsoft, unless ntkmlpa.exe is corrupted or the system has a malware infection, ntkmlpa probably isn't the cause of the problem.

So scan your system thoroughly for malware. Then you may want to repair Windows from the F8 menu and/or look for a driver problem. Is any hardware marked with red X or yellow ! in Device Manager?

And if you Google Checkcode oxoooooooA, you'll find a lot of discussions and potential solutions to this BSOD. 

No Events found!