Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 4th, 2010 11:00

upgrading memory on a desktop 8200

Good Day.

I am looking for information on adding memory to a desktop Dimension 8200 I bought in December 2001. I cannot afford a new desktop and must do the best with what I have.  I am not sure whether the memory I have been able to find is compatible with my computer and want to check before purchasing. 

The desktop came with Intel Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1.7 GhZ and 512 MB memory (2 x256 MB).  The system information from a check today says the memory installed is Rambus in Line Memory Module, 256, 400 M, 128x16, 8C.  I have no idea what any of this means but I do know the computer came with 2x256 MB memory and there are two additional slots remaining.  The sheets from when I was creating my shopping cart back then state that the memory is 512 MB PC800 RDRAM .   

From doing quite a bit of checking on the web the closest I could guess at adding an additional 512K is to buy a pair of cards which are PC-800 40ns 800MHz 184-pin. 

I figured the PC-800 part was ok from information above.

Checked and got information that 8200 came with 40ns and 45ns speed wise but not sure what is in my computer nor how to check for it or whether it matters

Do not know what the 800MHz means beyond that it has something to do with speed.  I know my system is 400Mhz so not sure if this refers to that speed and whether this means it is not compatible

From all I have read the 184-pin part seems to be needed for my Dimesnion 8200.

Does anyone know whether if I buy  a pair of PC-800 40ns 800MHz 184-pin  and add them in to the remaining 2 memory sockets whether they would work in my system?

Thanks for any information provided.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 4th, 2010 13:00

avostro1510

You can buy compatible Dimension 8200 P4 1.7GHz, RDRAM from HERE

Bev.

48 Posts

February 4th, 2010 15:00

Thank you.  I will check it out.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 4th, 2010 16:00

avostro1510

You are welcome.

Bev.

48 Posts

February 4th, 2010 18:00

Ok,  I  have now tried two online businesses and each is giving me different answers wrt the type I have to buy.  They agree on all but whether I need 45ns or 40ns.  Does anyone know how I can check my system out what speeds Dell installed?  My September 2001 manual does not have this information.  I have run the Dell check for system information but it does not give any information on the manufacturer, memory type, speed.  All I get is that there are 256 MB in memory slot 1 and 2 and information on various amounts of memory.  Nothing that really helps me in buying additional memory.  Does anyone know how I can find out the speed of the existing memory cards (or whatever they are called) without opening the computer. 

Thanks!

50 Posts

February 4th, 2010 19:00

Try downloading Everest Home edition. It is a freeware program that gives a full hardware analysis. I think i got if off of freewarefiles.com

there are other similar free programs (no I dont work for Everest!)

Seriously i had a 8250 myself and found buying Rambus too expensive.

You can find used computers with better specs than your machine or at least equal for the same money you would find rambus

I use Craigslist to find used computers and also Ebay.

A decent P4 3.0 ghz or higher would be about 150 to 200 used

and a 2.0 to 3.0 p4 about 75 to 150 at those sites.

Buyer beware!

if your using CL be carefull Ask to see work. Power down and up again

verify windows key with COA tag on tower so you know it is licensed correctly

I know that a 8200 is about a P4 2.0 ghz (2000 mhz) or so

the cost of the memory is not worth it sad to say and rambus was a failed attempt by intel they went back to ddr regular ram afterwards

optiplex GX280's,precision 360's,dimension 3000 are all reasonably priced

Good Luck

LBF

48 Posts

February 4th, 2010 21:00

Thanks!  My 8200 just started slowing down recently I think because of all the new windows updates and software which seem to be more geared to 7 tand so larger memory requirements and take up more storage space and/or memory.  I was truly surprised the last couple of days when I started checking out memory for the 8200 to find it was not even listed as a computer that could be upgraded with memory purchase from Dell.  There is a gap where the 82s should be.  Your e-mail explains why and I thank you for this information.  It would have been a good service for Dell to  let us know when rambus was discontinued, especially those of us who do not keep up with current computer ins and outs (probably most of Dell's customers) and  investigate only when we need something.  I do like my 8200; it works very well, but the information you provide puts all in a new light.   Very much appreciated.  Thank goodness for these forums!

February 4th, 2010 22:00

You can buy memory for an 8200 4allmemory.com. You must add it in pairs.

50 Posts

February 4th, 2010 22:00

Yes you can still buy RDRAM (rambus) but on Craigslist or Ebay you can find a tower for 150 or even less

this link is to ebay for a dimension 3000 with P4 3.0 which should be Hyperthreading (acts like two processors) with 512 DDR ram (much cheaper to upgrade) and 80 gb hard drive

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Dimension-3000-Desktop-PC-w-3-0ghz-super-fast-cpu_W0QQitemZ220551622205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item3359e6ae3d

disclaimer : I am in no way affiliated with this seller or Ebay or Craigslist and this was used for example purposes

that tower is 150 shipped and took me 2 minutes to find on Ebay

i am sure if you took your time you could find a tower within your budget (as much as you would spend on RDRAM)

I am so glad I could help.

LBF

No Events found!