Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2009 20:00

upgrading video card for dual monitor use on E521

I have a Dell E521 desktop and would like to use a second monitor for navigating through the internet. My current video card is an intergrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE. My current monitor (Dell 22" WS) has a DVI connection on it that I would like to use.  I do NOT use my computer for gaming. I just need reccomendations for a new video card that will allow me to use dual monitors. I currently use Win XP media center edition if it matters.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

June 21st, 2009 04:00

Hi BOTTLEDZ28, Your manual is HERE, and you have an 305w PSU with an PCIe slot on your mobo for your graphics card. With that in mind I would recommend the 9500GT HERE, more HERE, or the 4650 HERE more HERE. Manufactors do overstate the power for their cards, and dell do understate the power for their PSU's.

1 Message

June 24th, 2009 13:00

I have the same computer and same expansion interest, two monitors, not for gaming.  If I buy the 4650 do I run both monitors from the new card, or one from the original graphics card and one from the 4650?

Terry

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

June 24th, 2009 16:00

Hi Terry, You could use this here<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>to run 2 monitors.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 24th, 2009 17:00

I have the same computer and same expansion interest, two monitors, not for gaming.  If I buy the 4650 do I run both monitors from the new card, or one from the original graphics card and one from the 4650?

Terry

I think you can do it either way. Many cards come with dual DVI ports for that purpose.

1 Message

July 10th, 2009 18:00

Hi Rdunill,

Are you sure Corbinco2's second option is valid?

I suffer the problem right now. Once you install a new graphic card on PCI slot, the Dell E521 auto disable the integrated (on-board) graphic card.

I tried to setup the vedio card options in the Bios (two options tried), but still failed to install daul monitors on my Dell E521.

Although I know you can use splitter cable on the new graphic card, I just think why cannot I use on-board graphic card and PCI new card at the same time?

Isn't it a kind of waste if I can only use one card?

If anyone knows how to solve this, please kindly let me know....

No Events found!