Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2008 12:00

usb connector

This morning I booted up my xps420 no problem , Went thru my morning routine

drinking my coffee and reading the news,and then I decided to print out some coupons,

to my dismay I could not print ,went into device manager and noticed that I had two

unknown devices listed, I unnstalled them and rebooted,but they were still there, when

back to the desk down and seen a message usb not detected. So I took out the usb

printer cable and put it in another usb connector one row up from where I had it connected

before, and the computer detected the printer and all was well, I was wondering what happened

to that connection.. Any ideas anyone

Bob Moyer

Message Edited by Robert Moyer on 02-19-2008 09:37 AM
Message Edited by Robert Moyer on 02-19-2008 09:38 AM

39 Posts

February 20th, 2008 16:00

Haven't had that happen before.  More importantly, have you been able to reconnect your printer back to the original USB port?  I can feel somewhat comfortable with a weird glitch but I'd want to make sure that the USB port isn't defective.

39 Posts

February 20th, 2008 20:00

That to me sounds like an entire USB controller replacement.  You typically don't replace just one of the ports you have to replace the entire USB hub.  I would either run some diagnostics yourself from the bootup utilities menu to test the USB ports or get one of Dell's finest on the phone who can help you run the tests.  From there they can test the USB port/hub controller and make the necessary recommendations for repair.  You should be under warranty.  If so you should be fine.

14.4K Posts

if it truely is a USB contoller then only a motherboard replacement would solve the issue..Agree with the previous poster contact Dell XPS support

933 Posts

Thank you for the come back ,I tried it again and it still does not recognize the printer,  put it back to the top connector on the left looking at the computer and that one does recognize the printer. The message on the computer says try it again and if it still doesn't work have it replaced , what is involved to have it replace?

Bob Moyer

933 Posts

February 20th, 2008 21:00

Thanks guys for the good advice, I will get a hold of them in the am, Oh i hate to have major work on a computer so new:smileysad:

14.4K Posts

February 20th, 2008 22:00

have you by chance tried another usb device in the suspect port?

933 Posts

February 21st, 2008 08:00

I will try that this morning after I come back from setting up for the soup Kitchen!

Bob Moyer

933 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 11:00

I put my kodak camera station on that port and it works ok ,no problem ,

then  went back and put the printer HP all in one 8180 on that port and

and now it is ok Strange...Thanke you for the advice ,I'll have to keep

an eye on that port to see if it happens again...

Bob Moyer

933 Posts

February 29th, 2008 13:00

Well yesterday it happened again printer not recognized, changed port printer recognized.

well I did what was suggested and got hold of a Dell tech

biggest mistake of my life ,after working with him

for eight hours he decided the computer has to be reformated

He started it and then left ,told me everything would be ok ,

well it wasn't I still have the same problems. also Lost my book external 

software can't get back into my book

I guess I am going to email a serious note to Dell through the proper channels,

any one know the proper channels to persue?

Bob Moyer

Message Edited by Robert Moyer on 02-29-2008 10:04 AM
No Events found!