Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2010 05:00

video card problem

My computer is a XPS 400 with a GeForce 8600GT video card. I am getting the error message "your video card or drivers are not compatable with Media Center" I also get an error message with Age of Empires III "Age of Empires III reqiures at least a 64mb video card. This computer appears to have a 0mb video card. If you wish to upgrade your computer, please contact your computer manufacturer for any necessary assistance." Also for the past week or so, there is a random buzzing noise coming from inside the tower.

1.7K Posts

February 20th, 2010 06:00

The 8600GT would be either a 256MB or 512MB video card.  If you have not already, I would uninstall your old Nvidia driver and update it with the latest driver for your card and operating system directly from Nvidia's web site.  Also, check Dell's download site by using your service tag# to make sure you are up-to-date on any other drivers you may need. 

17 Posts

February 20th, 2010 14:00

Thanks. I wasn't sure where to begin. I will try that.

17 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 15:00

I downloaded and installed the new driver. That fixed the error messages, but the noise has gotten a lot worse. The video performance overall seems to be slow, too. I opened the tower to get a better idea where the noise was coming from. It is definitely the fan on the video card. I even pulled the card out. It makes the same noise when you spin the fan manually. It sounds like when you put playing cards on a bicycle wheel, only a lot faster. I have a support ticket in with XFX and am awaiting a response. The video card is just a little over a year old, so I'm not sure about it being covered under warranty.

No Events found!