Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2004 02:00

video card upgrade question

I have a Dell Dimension 2350 Intel Pentium 4, 1.8GHz,  256MB ddr sdram, with an Extreme 3D graphics card.  Can I upgrade to an Ati Radeon 9800 pro?

118 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 02:00

I am nearly positive that Dell doesn't have AGP slot in any of thier 2350 - 2400 computer lines.  So no you can't.  Sorry dude.  You can get a 9200, or a GeforceFX 5200 PCI cards.  I have a friend with the same exact computer and he wanted to play good games and he upgraded to a GeforceFX 5200 128MB PCI card with no problems.  He plays C&C Generals all the time on it.  I would just go with that.

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 03:00

Thank you for the replies.

I will admit I am asking about the video card because I am seriously addicted to The Sims.  I already have the orginal Sims and 3 of the expansion packs.  My computer plays the game OK with only a few crashes(video related)

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of The Sims 2 and I am really concerned about whether my Dimension 2350 will run this game without crashing.  The Sims 2 system requirements are:

If you have a non-T&L capable video card (such as TNT2 or Intel Integrated for example) then you need at least:

1.5 GHz processor I have an Intel Intergrated and 1.8ghz

256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, or Windows 2000 ...I have 256 MB Ram WIndows Xp

Recommended video cards (and the more video memory the better): ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Nvidia Geforce 4 or FX series cards 

What video card can I  upgrade too? 

Will the Geforce fx 5200 pci card be what I need?  I have a  Dimension 2350. 

Will more memory help also? 

Is installing a video card just like adding more memory?  What about my monitor?  I have the E151fp Flat pannel.  I won't have to re-wire it or anything will I?  OH!!!!!! I feel so stupid for having to ask

Message Edited by aunt_b2003 on 01-21-2004 11:41 PM

157 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 03:00

Lukejd87 is correct.  The 2350 does not have an AGP slot, so the best you can do for your board is to install a PCI card.  So no, you won't be able to upgrade to an ATI 9800 Pro, since it is an AGP card.

157 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 12:00

There are a few PCI video cards that will give you pretty decent graphics on your 2350.  A good recommendation would be ATI 9100 PCI card, or the GeForce FX5200 PCI.  Stay away from any cards that have SE after the model number.  I am not even sure if they make SE cards in the PCI flavor, but they are pretty much the "light" version".

You will need to disable your integrated Intel graphics, in order to get the system to see your new video card after you install it.

More RAM in your 2350 will always help, as Win XP is a big resource hog.  Your games will just run better.  XP is really happy at 512 MB, and if you are adding a graphics card, it will indeed help your system to speed along and run the games a little faster, with at least 512 MB of RAM.  Some systems, though, that do not have lot of extras on them, are happy at 384 MB when running XP.

Installing a video card is not any more difficult than installing memory.  You will have to install drivers for the video card, which will come on the CD with the new vid card, or can be downloaded from either ATI's site or NVidia's site.  The disabling of the integrated Intel video is probably the most trickiest part of what you will be doing.  I know I have seen many, many posts of users who have the integrated card and have some problem after disabling getting the system to recognize the new card, or getting a black screen on their monitor when booting up.  I believe you disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS and/or device manager (after you have done the BIOS change set to AUTO instead of integrated).  There are many knowledgeable posters here who can help you with that.  I am really not too familiar with integrated graphics.  Sorry.

Your monitor simply will need to be plugged into the back of the video card connector, rather than using the area (on the back of your PC) where you have been presently connecting your monitor.  It's the easiest part.

Don't feel embarrassed at all about asking questions that you feel "stupid" asking.  That's how everyone learns.  There are so many knowledgeable people here on the Dell forums and I have received a tremendous amount of help, even on a meager little question.

Good luck on your upgrade and post back if you run into any problems.

157 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 13:00

Reading this FAQ posted at the top of the forum should help you to correctly disable your integrated graphics.  I think the only one that would pertain to you would be the first headig then then possibly, on down the line where it talks about flashing the BIOS (you may or may not need to do this step), only if the first step in the FAQ doesn't work for you.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_video&message.id=57535

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion on steps when disabling your integrated and how to install your PCI card.

No Events found!