Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2003 22:00

what would you do?

I have a 4100 that is almost 2 years old. The hard drive and modem went bad and have been replaced. It runs Windows ME - very buggy. There is a memory problem, it is always low, even though I just doubled the 256mb to 512, it didn't make a difference. It is networked to 2 other computers in our home, the network works but the 4100 cannot access the network.

I don't know if it would be worth it to upgrade to Windows XP (I have the Dell upgrade but have not installed it yet). Maybe just a whole new system? Or, if I wipe the HD and start over, how do I get all my stuff back without also bringing back all the old problems?

2K Posts

April 30th, 2003 23:00

If you got the bucks to spare, I'd recommend a new system.

2.4K Posts

May 1st, 2003 11:00

You have a couple of options that don't require "buying a new system." You can format the hard drive and reinstall Windows ME, which usually solves a number of bugs and glitches that can cause problems with any operating system. As long as you don't install any junk software (Kazaa, Real-anything, Quicktime, and AOL come to mind), your chances of keeping a new installation running smoothly are greatly increased. I know of systems (and specifically 4100s) that have been running the factory installation of ME for a long time without any problem, but a lot of this has to do with how the systems are maintained, and with how diligent the operator is about keeping spyware, junk applications, etc., off the things. This actually holds true for any system, and any operating system. You can mess up Windows XP just as easily as you can ME by installing the wrong software, or by failing to familiarize yourself with the basic requirements for system maintenance.

You could also do a clean install of Windows XP, which works very well on 4100s, particularly those with at least 256-512 MB RAM. An upgrade installation is not recommended. At the very least, you might want to make sure you have the most current BIOS on the system, prior to making the move to XP. I'd also recommend running the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor first, to identify any potential incompatible hardware/software. The 4100 itself is completely compatible with XP, but your printer/scanner/software may not be.

While you could probably get ME to run very well for you, XP is a bit easier to manage, on a day-to-day basis, if installed properly on a formatted drive. As these machines become more sophisticated, it's incumbent upon the operator to learn the basic dos and don'ts for maintenance and troubleshooting, regardless of which operating system is installed. You might find that simply reviewing a good guide to maintaining Windows equipped PCs allows you to do everything you need/want to do with your current setup, which is certainly cheaper than "buying a new system." 4100s are very reliable sets, if they're set up and maintained properly.

11.9K Posts

May 1st, 2003 12:00

See comments below. 

@cma10ae wrote:

Thanks for the info. If I did a clean install of XP, I would go out and buy the regular XP Home and install on the clean hard drive - is this right?  No, that's incorrect.  The Dell upgrade allows a clean install as do all Windows upgrade packages.  What about all the Dell drivers and such that I would need that are included in the Dell upgrade for XP (that I still have and have never installed). Would there be an easy way to get all of it or would it be a pain in the you know what?

If I were to get a new primary hard drive for this, and make my current hard drive a secondary hd to easily access all my current data, would that work ok?  Yes, that would work fine.

Believe it or not I've been extra careful about what I install on this machine, no spy junk or aol or anything. I think my problems stem to a few buggy shipping aplications I need to run my business. But I am a bit disappointed in the failure of both the hard drive and modem in less than 2 years.

2 Posts

May 1st, 2003 12:00

Thanks for the info. If I did a clean install of XP, I would go out and buy the regular XP Home and install on the clean hard drive - is this right? What about all the Dell drivers and such that I would need that are included in the Dell upgrade for XP (that I still have and have never installed). Would there be an easy way to get all of it or would it be a pain in the you know what?

If I were to get a new primary hard drive for this, and make my current hard drive a secondary hd to easily access all my current data, would that work ok?

Believe it or not I've been extra careful about what I install on this machine, no spy junk or aol or anything. I think my problems stem to a few buggy shipping aplications I need to run my business. But I am a bit disappointed in the failure of both the hard drive and modem in less than 2 years.

2.4K Posts

May 1st, 2003 13:00

If you're going to go with Windows XP, I'd recommend getting XP Pro as opposed to Home, particularly if you're working with business records/software. Not only does Pro offer more security options, but it has some other features that you may find desireable down the line. You can compare the features of the different versions here.

As far as the hardware failures, that's one of those "luck of the draw" situations you'll encounter with any vendor. You might buy a refurb system and never have a problem with anything, and then buy a new one and have three component failures in 6 months, but the chances of one or the other happening are no different, regardless of which vendor you choose. The advantages of buying from a "name brand" vendor come into play when you have to get something repaired or replaced, and that's why I prefer systems with a variety of warranty options, from reputable vendors.

Regarding the software you're required to run for business purposes, it's taken a number of vendors a while to realize that what worked under Windows 9X doesn't necessarily work under the NT-based OSes like XP, but companies that plan to remain in business for very long have probably started to get their acts together by now, and have realized that they must provide a product that complies with the Q&R standards of the 21st century. If they haven't, then perhaps it's time to start looking for a new software vendor.

You'll find that Windows XP will install a lot of drivers that previous Windows versions didn't, so the transition will go a lot smoother than a reinstall of a 9X OS would, under most circumstances. The best way to find out what you'll need for XP is to use the Downloads tab above. As long as the system is registered with Support (you'll see your service tag and system info on the left side of the page, if this is the case), just select your OS and "All" for download type. Any available XP drivers for the 4100 will show up. XP will install such that if you're on a broadband connection, you can get online as soon as the OS is on, which will allow you to determine which drivers need updating, and let you get the new versions downloaded easily. If you have an NVidia video card, you can find XP drivers for it that will work very well at NVidia's site. The Sound Blaster Live! Value audio drivers and application software at www.creative.com work fine on the card version that Dell installs, but from what I understand, if you have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, you'll want to use the Dell version of the XP drivers.

If you're not sure about something, post your Service Tag ID, and someone can probably help you determine which other XP specific drivers might be necessary, but I think you'll find that the whole thing is quite easy, compared to reinstalling a 9X OS.
No Events found!