Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2006 22:00

where do I go to change my computers start up

Before I had to reinstall windows xp, my computer just started up and went directly to my desktop.
Now, after reinstallation, I have to type my master password first, before I can get to my desktop. I don't really mind it, I was just wondering where I go if I want to change this.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 6th, 2006 22:00

See this.

November 7th, 2006 01:00

If you can get to the Windows log-in screen, once Windows is up-and-running, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, and go into User Accounts. There you can remove your account's password so Windows won't ask for a password on log-in. This will save time in rebooting. Only do this if no one else can possibly use your machine locally (or you want your kids / family to use it and not fool with a password). I still like the password so no one else can use the computer without my knowledge, even though I have a fairly secure office. Then you can have your screensaver also lock people out of the computer when it pops up. Also, when logged-off, remote programs (trojans, spyware, etc.) that may have crept onto your system have a more difficult time hijacking your computer since none of your programs can be used without logging on again, which requires your password.

If it's asking for a password *before* you reach the Windows Log-in screen, you have to go into system set-up. To do that, after you reboot usually you must either repeatedly tap the or key to enter system setup while the machine is rebooting. Your machine may also have a long enough delay during the boot process to view on-screen info which will tell you which key to press to enter system setup. Be very careful about changing any of the settings because you can hose your system big time by making a mistake in system setup. You'll need to navigate to the password setting, and either remove that password or tell the system not to ask for a password, depending on how your machine is configured. You may want to look at your owners manual, a good third-party manual, or check online to see the exact procedure for your machine.

Passwords are helpful, though annoying, things. They should not be removed or not used merely as a matter of convenience! They keep most unauthorized users and nasty programs from using your system. Good luck. :-)

22 Posts

November 8th, 2006 23:00

thank you for your help
No Events found!