Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

November 29th, 2000 20:00

winME

Has anyone received the free Windows ME upgrade from Win 98 that was promised for buys around September?

9 Posts

November 29th, 2000 22:00

Not me... I'm still for it waiting too...

A while back the story was that we would receive it, "by the end of the year..." Not exactly speedy service... Well, it's not 2001 yet, so I guess Dell isn't "late" yet... Funny, though, it didn't seem take Dell "until the end of the year" to bill my credit card for the computer when I bought it last August...

In the interim, my 75g hard drive had to be replaced and I had so much trouble - over 23 phone calls to Dell Tech Support - trying to reinstall from scratch everything that originally cam pre-installed - especially Windows 98SE and all the drivers (which I understand are highly Windows version specific) - that when/if Dell ever does come through with the ME upgrade (somehting which I'm beginning to doubt...), I don't think I'll bother trying to install it anyhow - life's too short to deal with such hassles more than absolutely necessary...

Richard Gordon
r-gordon-7@pipeline.com

13 Posts

November 30th, 2000 11:00

Hi Richard and kow,

I had read an earlier question here about that and the response was that it would be around the middle of December before ME would ship. I concurr with you Richard, I don't think I will install it either. I have done some shifting around since I bought my dimension and really don't think ME would be compatible with some of my hardware and programs that I have added.

4 Posts

November 30th, 2000 16:00

I currently have Windows ME on both of my brand new computers and I used to have Windows 98. Out of the 2 I prefer Windows 98. I believe the Glide is right. I have several Games, a steering wheel and a joystick that I absolutley cannot get to work with ME. I have called support on both of these items and cant get a response. Tech support for my computers says it will cost me for them to help solve problems with those items. So I am stuck with very few things that work with ME. I will have to start all over again.
No Events found!