Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2008 11:00

windows Media Player

I have a XPS 210 desktop (16 months old), i am trying to re-install WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER,  but when i go to add/remove programmes, i cannot find it listed.

How can i remove it ?????????

2 Intern

• 

366 Posts

June 8th, 2008 12:00

9 Posts

June 8th, 2008 13:00

Thank you for your responce Col,, but i am using WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREM, and when i went into add/remove, there was no sign of a small check box for "show updates".

I am not computer wise, in fact we got our first computer 6yrs ago for our retirement, and still learning.

When we got this P/C from Dell, everything was installed on it for us (We even paid for the man from Dell to come and set it up).

Any further suggestions would be gratefully recieved mate.????????   

1.1K Posts

June 8th, 2008 14:00

From what I understand WMP is part of VIStA and can not be uninstalled.  Are you having problems with it working?

Why are you trying to reinstall it?

If it is not working properly try this;

Go to Start - > Type Run in the Search Box - > type regsvr32 wmp.dll

9 Posts

June 8th, 2008 17:00

WMP keeps shutting down, and a notice comes up saying " There is a problem, windows will close WMP and try to supply me with a solution" (or words to that effect).

Below is a copy of several in the "Faults" file

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: wmplayer.exe

Application Version: 11.0.6000.6344

Application Timestamp: 46e5f12e

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00022a79

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: c453

Additional Information 2: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9

Additional Information 3: c453

Additional Information 4: abcc8f7853b48d9807d6d51eb1fa5df9

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 535952732

It got that bad i, downloaded another Media player (GOM), now that has started to refuse to play WMV files, i am getting sound but no video picture.

It says that Codec is missing.

I even bought a programme called "Regcure", it reports that :-Faults there are --- 195 empty Registry keys

373 File/Path References

43 file Associations

I click on "Fix Faults", after a while it reports that "all faults repaired", but i get the same report next day when i run it.???              

1.1K Posts

June 8th, 2008 20:00

Did you try the regsvr32wmp.dll command?

Also, how long as it not been functioning.  Try a system restore to a point when it was working.  Maybe it will correct the files that were corrupted and get it working.

2 Intern

• 

366 Posts

June 8th, 2008 22:00

Ok, from what I have read you definately cant un-install WMP player from Vista. Everything points to downloading the latest version of WMP from Microsoft web site and just installing it. And hoping that it installs OK over the top.

Other than that the only other way is doing a repair from the Windows disc and I am not sure this can be done from the OEM discs that come with Dell machines. 

If you are having other problems with your machine you can consider a full windows restore/recovery using that OEM disc. Bearing in mind you will need to back up data as you will lose it all.

Col

9 Posts

June 8th, 2008 22:00

Yes i did, i clicked on "run" typed in regsvr32wmp.dll clicked enter, but it comes up "Windows cannot find regsrv32wmp.dll "

I have tried System restore numerous times, but to no avail, the only thing left to do is to wipe the P/C clean, and start all over again using the 2 C/D,s i got from Dell, but that is the last thing i want to do, it involves so much time and effort.

I have had minor problems since the first day of installment (Feb 2007), and i begged and pleaded with the "phone in" Dell Support to send an engineer out as it was still under warranty, but i was told they will only send one out if it is a Hardware problem.

And if i wanted someone to come out for a software problem, i would have to pay an enormous price for his time, as we are pensioners, we could not afford it.

I even found error reports dated a year BEFORE i bought the computer (dont ask me where i found it, but they must be still there).

The first thing i thought of was, "I have been sold a reconditioned computer", but Dell Support said this is a normal thing, and it happens when the "Parts" were being tested during construction.

We both feel we have been let down badly by such a large company as Dell. 

9 Posts

June 9th, 2008 11:00

Thanks for all your help Col, i do not understand why Dell sell P/C,s that wont let its customers uninstall certain progs:.

I am thinking of getting a laptop for my wife because we both enjoy computers, but i will certainly steer clear of Dell. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Intern

• 

366 Posts

June 9th, 2008 11:00

It's not Dell that does this it Microsoft Vista.....a lot of companies sell Windows pre-installed so they can sell cheaper to consumers. Therefore a complete disc of Windows in not provided. Hence OEM.

Microsoft are the ones that have changed the fact that from XP to Vista, Windows Media Player is no longer in the list of programs for uninstall.

Col

9 Posts

June 9th, 2008 12:00

oooooooooooooPs, Sorry Dell !!!!, So Microsoft are to blame Col, would this still be the case if i bought Vista from a shop. ????

I tried the Vista Service pack 1, that has not helped, but i read even that is having problems.!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Col 

2 Intern

• 

366 Posts

June 10th, 2008 12:00

I think so but I am no expert.....someone with more knowledge would need to confirm.

A full retail version of Vista is not cheap...

Have you tried downloading WMP 11 from Microsoft and seeing if it will install over the top of existing program?

Col

No Events found!