Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2013 05:00

wrong resolution selected for windows 8.1 Inspiron 660

Hi all,

I have Inspiron 660, i5 3rd gen processor with integrated Intel graphics. While using my computer, I got  the notification message in the lower corner about Intel graphics suggesting that 2xxx-1600 (can't remember the exact number) resolution would be optimal for my computer. So, for the fun of it I went and changed the resolution just to see the funny screen, expecting  it would ask me after few seconds if I want to change it back, However, my monitor does not support this ridiculous resolution and all I see now is the monitor message that monitor does not support it.

In short, after I boot, Dell logo appears and then monitor tells me to change the resolution back to 1920-1080, which I can't do since there is no picture :(. :emotion-9: I have Inspiron 660, i5 processor, integrated Intel graphics, running Windows 8.1.

Is there any way to fix this, to change the resolution back? Thanks.

edit: I'd even be willing to reinstall windows (but of course now we don't get installation disk ...) :emotion-52:

I guess this should be in video forum, sorry about that.

5.2K Posts

October 20th, 2013 08:00

Right click on the desktop and select the option to change the resolution.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2013 13:00

Unfortunately, there is nothing to click on. Screen is just black, like if the monitor was not connected to the computer so there is no desktop. The only thing that appears is the message from the monitor that it does not support the crazy resolution.

Also, if it matters, the monitor is Dell ST2320L. I did install the driver earlier, one would hope it would then only offer the supported resolutions, but no. sigh.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 20th, 2013 18:00

Try this:

1. Reboot and press F8 before Windows starts to load.
  2. Select Safe Mode from the F8 menu.
  3. When you get to the desktop in Safe Mode change the resolution to the amount recommended for this monitor
  4. Shut down normally and reboot normally

4 Posts

October 21st, 2013 02:00

Thanks, but it didn't work. After Dell logo screen goes black whether or not I press F8.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 21st, 2013 17:00

Failed video card?

If you reboot and press F12 this time, can you go to Utility partition and run the video diagnostics?

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2013 18:00

Thanks, but here is no graphics card exactly, it's integrated graphics. And it's ok, except for the wrong resolution. (I'll try F12 later if it can let me change the resolution, away from the computer now.)

The above happened when I was using VGA cable to connect the monitor. I tried HDMI cable instead and thankfully the picture appears with the  correct resolution. However, switching back to VGA still no picture.

HDMI is more like a workaround then a solution, and I would still like to fix the VGA resolution. It's a new computer and it bugs me that something is broken, plus, it really should not be this easy to make your computer unusable.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 19:00

The diagnostics won't let you change resolution, they'll only test the video (onboard or add-in) to see if it's working correctly.

HDMI should give you better video output than VGA.  :emotion-5:

With monitor connected to HDMI, look in BIOS setup to see if there are options to enable/disable the VGA port. Also try enabling the Intel Multi Display option (if it's there*). Save the change and exit setup. Then power off and move the monitor to the VGA port.

(*manual not currently available online so I can't check it.)

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 22nd, 2013 19:00

BTW: have you tried to revert to a previous Intel graphics driver?
Open Device Manager and find the entry for Intel graphics. Double-click it and look for the option on one of the tabs to roll back to the previous driver. See if that restores proper VGA function.

No Events found!