Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 2nd, 2015 13:00

xps 2710 booting help

Hi all.

I dual booted my 2710 with Windows 10 Tech Preview recently and everything was running great.... until yesterday when the newest update dropped.  Ran once, and has had this mysterious booting issue ever since.  Blank screen, no POST that I can see and my external monitor shows nothing also.  OSD controls are lit and working.

I reset the cell battery,  reset the bios pins and restarted with no ram.  Two beeps. Next time, five beeps. All according to plan right?

I installed one stick of Ram...nothing.  The other stick...nothing.  Both sticks... bios menu somehow.   Next try, I get the Dell logo and up and booting.  I noticed that out of 6g of ram, only 2g are cooperating.

So, do I have the dreaded motherboard/graphics glitch for this machine?  Other thoughts or testing to try?

If it is the motherboard/graphics, how do I identify it to find a replacement?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 14:00

Is this only a problem with Win 10 TP or with the other OS too? What happens if you boot with a bootable CD or DVD?

My Inspiron laptop got a bunch of 10 TP updates last night. It still booted afterwards but both AMD and onboard Intel graphics drivers disappeared - yet again.  I had to reinstall them to make it usable. 

Lost count of how many times Win 10 TP crashed video drivers on this lappy. And it's not just Dell PCs, it's all makes/models, judging by what I read on the Win 10 TP forum. 

You may want to check the 10 TP forums to see if anybody else has the same problem after the last round of updates and has been able to fix it. And I sure hope all your personal files are backed up on external media if you have to wipe the entire hard drive and start over.

Oh, and did I mention the onboard Broadcom NIC stopped working after last night's 10 TP updates too?  :emotion-12:

At least my Ethernet>USB dongle still works so I can get on the net. Just have to figure out if reinstalling that NIC driver is going to help.

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 15:00

I'm not typically getting to any boot choices.  Just a blank screen. 

A bootable CD or DVD?  What's that? lol  I suppose I could try a bootable USB, but I can't get to any F2 menus.

All essential files are backed up thankfully.

Win 10 forums on here?  Somewhere else?

Understand that the update worked for a day or so... 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2015 16:00

Microsoft Win 10 TP forum.

But if it worked for a day or so, it's possible this may have nothing to do with Win 10 TP.

Maybe somebody else has some ideas...

10 Posts

May 5th, 2015 05:00

I'm in the exact same boat, starts up to a black screen with no option to boot or go to BIOS. I replaced the motherboard last night with one I bought online and I was able to get to the BIOS. I ran a diagnostics, all was well. I then reboot and I'm back to the same place I was before with the old motherboard. Starts up to a black screen.

I'm not sure Windows 10 is a coincidence anymore.

Have you resolved your issue? I'm at a dead end and Dell is no help.

5 Posts

May 5th, 2015 09:00

Sent it back to Dell for out-of-warranty repair.  So far, motherboard/graphics board were replaced, then they found a(nother?) problem with the LCD/touchscreen and replace that as well.  Received it and immediately started having the same problem repair depot reported (right side of the screen was completely distorted.   Sent it back to Dell to fix the latest 'fix'.  On the upside- no blank screen on boot!  It was doing it on Win 8 &10.  

It's on its way back to me now, so we'll see what the result is. Wish me luck.

10 Posts

May 5th, 2015 19:00

Fingers crossed.

I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here though. Dell Canada has essentially disowned me. They suggest that I try to find a local technician. I can't find anyone here in Toronto that'll touch an all in one. They all tell me it's custom parts and they can't do anything.

How much did it cost to ship it back to Dell if I may ask?

No Events found!