Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

October 27th, 2008 00:00

xps 630

I have several concerns about the xps 630. My biggest concern is th e PCI-e x16 slots underclocked to x8. How will this affect performance? Also, I've heard several complaints about USB ports not working etc.. please let me know what you think. Thanks, Will.

123 Posts

October 27th, 2008 00:00

The PCI issue isn't really a big one, you can play most of the high end games out today. But maybe a couple years down the road when games require more PCI slots, you might have an issue.

The USB ports on my 630 Work fine, no problems.

Good luck!

475 Posts

October 27th, 2008 03:00

wharper,

There's a large difference in opinion on the X8 PCIe issue. IMO it's not a big deal if you are going to run a 9800GT card. If you plan on upgrading your Graphics card to Dual GPU (such as 9800GX2 or HD4870X2) or GTX280, you will have less performance than the card's potential unless you replace the MOBO/MIO of the 630i. These cards are very expensive and seems like a waste to pay that much and not be able to exploit their full potential. I sent my 630i back for this and a few other issues. If you want a comparable performance mid-level gaming computer and are only planning on One PCIE gpu crad, the XPS420 is a better value and better performance. I can say this having owned both. I have a 9800GX2 in my 420 as my only upgrade to original equipment (stock 425W PSU).

49 Posts

October 27th, 2008 15:00

Hey Will,

It depends on what your plans are for the 630.

I'm not an extreme "must have the latest and greatest" gamer but when I buy Crysis or something new like that, I want it to play well. 

I returned my 630 after Dell could not get my Crossfire 3780's to work on it. Before sending it back, I first bought an Nvidia 260 and tried that instead. I was unimpressed with the performance and thats when I read about the 8x issue. I packed it up and bought a 730i instead (which only wound up costing $150 more).

Now I can tell you because I have played Crysis: Warhead on both systems, there was a noticeable difference. I'm not talking 2-3 fps off some benchmark, but a large noticeable game experience.

The 16x vs 8x all comes down to how much data can be transferred to and from the card. If I could notice it now, how bad would it of been a year from now? 

11 Posts

October 27th, 2008 20:00

Sean, I have found and posted actual real world benchmarks proving that the 630i runs almost equal to the big brother mobo that has all lanes enabled, and yet you still insist on bashing this machine, and telling new people that it is a problem with high end cards. You need to prove that with real data not conjecture, or just keep your opinions to yourself, because they are only opinions without data to back em up. Do your homework, then post. I have had my machine with no problems for a couple months now, I do accept that they had some issues in the past, but they seem to be addressed now.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2008 20:00

Thanks, You all have been helpful, but maybe i could add that i plan on playing older games (CS:S, CoD) as well as newer games (CoD4, CoD5). Good FPS is whats imortant to me.

28 Posts

October 27th, 2008 22:00

Regardless of benchmarks, there is no excuse to locking the PCIe slots to x8 lanes for dual and single GPU users.

You will notice the difference when running graphic intensive games like Crysis and Crysis warhead at 1920 x 1200 resolution.

49 Posts

October 28th, 2008 01:00

saxon,

When you can see frame rates drop in front of your eyes, I don't need a benchmark. 

I have played Crysis:WH running on both machines and the 730 is much smoother.

I too have looked up all the benchmarks that you speak of. Most of the ones listed were benchmarks run more than a year ago testing games like FEAR, DOOM3 and HL2.

And yes, on those games running a 8800, there is very little difference.

But if you look at todays games (and more importantly tomorrows) this IS a big issue.

I plan on keeping this PC for 3 years and I don't want something slightly slower now that will be extremely slower in a year.

And by the way, forums are for opinions and personal experiences which is exactly what this poster wanted.

475 Posts

October 28th, 2008 06:00

saxon68,

I have had the 630i and the 420. I don't care about your Benchmarks. Chris posted some in favor of my contention as well. The REAL WORLD experience of having run both rigs is worth tons more. It's simple math and your Tests are of old world benching programs. Being in a technical field, I know that I can make a test prove anything I want. Your entire premise is flawed, so please keep from confusing people with it.

Dell designed the 630i with a Lotus body and put a VW bug drivetrain in. Get over it. You made a bad buying decision... and if you're comfortable with it... I'm happy for you. Many who do HOMEWORK are not, and try to keep others from making a mistake. I guess you'll just have to deal with opinions that do not agree with yours. It will happen more if you move away from your parents house also:smileyvery-happy: .

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 28th, 2008 13:00

All,

Let's all relax. We are all out here to help others, not bicker.

475 Posts

October 29th, 2008 03:00

Sorry Chris, Got a little carried away.
No Events found!