Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 1st, 2017 20:00

xps 8910 wont output video to RX 480

Just opened a brand new XPS 8910 BIOS 10.1.0.10.

I bought the cheapest card GTX 730 because I already own an XFX RX 480 6-pin blower fan edition.

the system booted on the original GTX 730, but as soon as I installed the RX 480 it refuses to output video from the card. 1) the RX 480 fans are spinning, and 2) I am typing this because the integrated video outputs work.

I removed secured boot from bIOS (I read it on someone struggling to get a GTX 1060 to work), and tried boot to Legacy mode, but get an error message that no bootable device was found.

just for kicks I just reflashed the same BIOS, no results.

any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 06:00

The XPS 8910 shipped with either a 350w power supply or a 460w power supply. According to XFX, the minimum power supply requirement for the RX 480 is 500w?

25 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 13:00

Thanks Chris-M.

I have the 460watts PSU.

I naively thought that as Dell sells the XPS 8910 with the RX 480 combined with the i7-6700k (which is 95 watts, versus the 65 watts of the i7-6700 I have), then if I install it myself it should work.

I tried a different display port in the RX 480 and the monitor kind of flashes for a second, then it goes dark, then it flashes again. is this compatible with PSU issues?

Also, I would expect the power consumption to peak when gaming or such, but at boot time, how much power the card needs to show the Dell logo?

is there anything BIOS related I can/should do?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 3rd, 2017 04:00

Dell cards are modified to work with systems they ship in. So a unit might have lower clock speed to save power.  I would  suggest getting a bigger power supply.  Another user installed an EVGA 850 Platinum power supply.

140 Posts

February 3rd, 2017 08:00

I was able to install a Corsair RM650 without any problem - it fit perfectly and is very quiet.  Biggest challenge was stuffing all the excess cables inside in a manner that doesn't impede airflow.

I still question why your PC won't fire up with the OEM power supply and the RX480.  I can understand why it would struggle under load, but initial startup shouldn't be beyond it's capacity.  Many PSU's are underrated or rated for constant load and can handle short burst needs.  I would go back and check to see that it is seated firmly in it's slot and the power is connected properly.  I was getting a similar issue my first time and the DisplayPort cable wasn't properly seated.  Hope that helps!

No Events found!