Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

June 18th, 2013 10:00

xps8000 and SSD drive

Hi,

I currently have a xps8000 running two SATA HDD and looking to upgrade them to SSD drive.

Can someone please advise:

1) Will any SSD work with the xps8000?

2) Once installed will the BIOS pick it up automatically?

3) Can I mix SSD with HDD?

4) Will a SATA III drive work? I presume the xps8000 is backwards compatible so would run the SSD at SATA II?

5) Can I take an image of my current OS, install the SSD, then restore the image and boot up?

Thanks in advance

msuk

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 18th, 2013 11:00

1) Will any SSD work with the xps8000? Standard 2.5-inch form factor SSDs should be compatible.

2) Once installed will the BIOS pick it up automatically? Yes

3) Can I mix SSD with HDD? Yes

4) Will a SATA III drive work? I presume the xps8000 is backwards compatible so would run the SSD at SATA II? Yes on both

5) Can I take an image of my current OS, install the SSD, then restore the image and boot up? Yes, if the image will fit in the SSD's space

June 18th, 2013 11:00

Hi msuk,

Dell Studio XPS 8000 uses Intel P55 chipset and support SATA operations at SATA II speed (300 MB/s). Dell has tested this system with 3.5" SATA 7200rpm drives of upto 1.5 TB capacity. The answers to your questions are as follows :

1. There are two types of SSD's available viz mSATA SSD and SATA SSD. Your system does not support mSATA SSD. You may install any SATA SSD and it should work with the system. However, Dell has not tested this system with SSD drives.
  2. Yes, the system will pick up SSD drive just like a normal hard drive.
  3. Yes, you can mix SSD and HDD
  4. Yes, SATA III drives are backwards compatible and should work on your system, though, at SATA II speed (300 MB/s)
  5. Yes, you can deploy an image of your current drive onto a SSD drive using a cloning software.

For installing/replacing parts, you may refer to Service Manual.

Note : Please follow safety instructions in manual before installing parts in system.

Hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

June 20th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

Would the following be compatible? Samsung 840 Pro SSD 250gb

www.samsung.com/.../MZ-7PD512BW

Thanks

June 20th, 2013 13:00

Hi msuk,

Yes, theoretically the drive should work. However, as mentioned earlier, Dell has not tested XPS 8000 with a SSD drive.

5 Posts

December 28th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

I installed an SSHD drive on my XPS 8000 : Seagate ST2000DX001. Of course, everything is working ... except the functionnalities brought by the SSD technologies : because the last avalaible version of the XPS 8000 BIOS (A03) does not support ACPI. It is impossible to configure this option in the Bios panel.

I don't think that the Bios will evolve because the XPS 8000 does not seem to be supported. Unless Dell has time to spent ?...

Ellipsis Wikipedia: Ellipsis (plural ellipses; from the élleipsis, "omission" or "falling short") is a series of dots that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence or whole section from the original text being quoted, and though necessary for syntactical construction, is not necessary for comprehension.

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

January 30th, 2014 03:00

Hi,

Have you noticed a significant increase in boot up times and general use of Windows/Applications?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

40 Posts

March 13th, 2014 10:00

Apparently using RAID will support AHCI

See the following:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19482762/20263321.aspx

No Events found!