Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2002 00:00

16 bit Windows Subsystem Error

Whenever I attempt to install any program or run some of the currently loaded programs on my computer, I get a 16-bit Windows Subsystem error:

"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers, VDD, Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose 'close' to terminate application."

I have searched the Microsoft Support pages and find information of 16-bit MS-DOS error but not the 16-bit Windows Subsystem error.

My computer operating system is Windows 2000. It was factory installed and not an upgrade.

Please help me if you can.

Message Edited on 04/03/02 08:28PM by CathleneW

1 Message

April 12th, 2002 18:00

Inspirion 4100
Windows XP Home

1. I received the same 16 bit VDD error as CatherineW (4/3/02) and I will try the solution Pamela points to.
2. I’ve also received the following error when trying to install Quicken 2002 (and some other utilities).
“16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.”

3. Quicken points you to MS knowledge base Q165214 (Q314106 for XP) which requires I check the config.nt and autoexec.nt files.
4. Problem: I cannot find those files (show hidden files selected). Any hints?

2 Posts

April 12th, 2002 18:00

I found both the config.nt and autoexec.nt files in both c:\WINNT\System32\ and also c:\WINNT\repair\

I tried the Microsoft fix for my error but it didn't work. I guess Windows 2000 is a little different than Windows ME.

No Events found!