Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

February 3rd, 2004 08:00

2400 Diagnostic Lights

Hi,

I have had problems recently with my 2400 series desktop.  I originally had the error lights A and B yellow with C and D green.  I was sent a new stick of RAM as that is the code for a memory problem.  That did not work and was then sent a new (refubished actually) motherboard and supposedly processor but only recieved the motherboard. 

So I replaced the motherboard and still get the same error.  But now it flashes between yellow(AB) green(CD) which is the same, but then it flashes to green A yellow B green CD which isn't in the manual.  A few times it would flash yellow(AB) green(CD) then it would turn to yellow A, green B, yellow C, green D which also isn't in the manual. 

I checked the online html version of the manual as those are easier to update if anything is changed or added, but there wasn't anything.  So I was wondering if anyone else or the moderators knew what these other error codes were as I saw that these error codes meant something for other Dimensions desktops.  Although I have also read that unlisted error codes means I should just call.  But thought I'd try here while I was looking.

1.1K Posts

February 3rd, 2004 18:00

YeahBoo27,

Does the system boot at all? If it does then test the system with the Dell customer diagnostics that came with the system on the drivers and utilities CD. If the system does not boot then try cleaning the connections on the ram with a clean dry cloth and seating the ram firmly in the slots.

18 Posts

February 4th, 2004 02:00

Ah, instead of using a dry cloth, use a soft rubber eraser instead to clean the contacts on the memory. I've used that several times and I find it a much safer procedure since it balances the static charges (or so I've heard -- but for me it does take dust out of them better).

But LittleAdvice is right: does the system boot at all? You may want to detach your hard drive(s) and CD/DVD drives first from the motherboard, plus your modem and sound cards (if you have any installed). Then try it on and see -- given that your system gets to a different quad pack light at the back after reseating your memory, it's better to see if it is your RAM that's causing the problem.

Stripping it down to just the motherboard, power supply, RAM, and video card should do the trick. If it's consistently yellow-yellow-green-green (ABCD), it's likely the memory at fault.

Message Edited by Isxek on 02-03-2004 10:53 PM

No Events found!