Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CM

May 5th, 2008 20:00

2400 Problem

I know this is an old system I was given but before I strip it for various parts I would like to find out some Info.

On turn on I get a steady amber power light on the front as well as a steady HD light.  The ABCD lights on the back are not on at all.  The system fan comes on as well as the fan in the PS.  The green light comes on on the MB as well.  I am thinking the MB is toast but want to check here first.  It currently has no memory installed but I should be getting some kind of POST beeps but thee are none.

Thanks anyone,
Charles

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Charles

Smart thinking, that's exactly what I would do. :)

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Charlie-M

Assuming that you have a know good power supply. Because a power supply or motherboard failure can give, almost the same symptoms.

Remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, then check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes or diagnostic lights on the front/back panel, then it would appear that motherboard has died.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

54 Posts

That was my last test and still came up with nothing.  I know the PS is good as it works on another system.  Thanks for the confirmation of what I already suspected.  I will continue my original plan and recycle what I can.

Charles 

No Events found!