Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2010 19:00

3 monitors with ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB video card

I just received my new Studio 9100 with a ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB video card. The documentation on the card says that it has three independent display controllers and will Drive three displays simultaneously with independent resolutions, refresh rates, color controls, and video overlays. I also purchased 3 Dell ST2310 monitors that have the same inputs connections as the ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB video card output connections. When I hocked up the monitors only 2 will display video. I have tested and all 3 monitors work. When all 3 monitors are connected to the computer, the monitors with the HDMI and DVI connections will display. The VGA output will only work when one of the other connections are disconnected. Windows recognized that there is three monitors but will only let you configure 2 of them. I am not using this computer for playing games but to do stock trading. I need to be able to have different charts running on the different monitors. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim

881 Posts

September 18th, 2010 20:00

To use the Eyefinity cababilities of your card one of the monitors has to have a "display port" port. The ST2310 lacks this port. Google Eyefinity to learn more about the ins & outs of this feature.

Jeff :emotion-22:

11 Posts

October 15th, 2010 15:00

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Unfortunately, the Radeon HD 5670 in the Dell computer seems NOT to be the Radeon HD 5670 the rest of the world knows.  Check out the card's i/o panel on Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5670,2533.html

Then look at the panel on the Dell XPS 9100. The Dell has an analog VGA port instead of the DisplayPort connector :emotion-18:  I've already purchased the necessary DisplayPort to DVI active dongle - and guess what? It won't plug into the card.

Here's ATI/AMD's Spec Sheet for the HD-5670:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/ati-radeon-hd-5670-overview/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5670-overview.aspx#2

Which states the following:

• Integrated dual-link DVI output with HDCP12
    • Max resolution: 2560x160013
  • Integrated DisplayPort output
    • Max resolution: 2560x160013
  • Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio
    • Max resolution: 1920x120013
  • Integrated VGA output
    • Max resolution: 2048x153613
    • 3D stereoscopic display/glasses support14
    • Integrated HD audio controller
      • Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
      • Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

(Emphasis added).

I just wish Dell had told me I was getting an OEM derivative rather than the actual card listed in the specifications before I purchased this computer. :emotion-42:

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit 10/15/2010: Here's a link to the HD 5670 that looks like the one delivered by Dell on the XPS 9100:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/186908/ati_introduces_radeon_hd_5670.html

They have substituted the DisplayPort with an analog VGA port. The card included in the Dell XPS 9100 is manufactured by Pegatron and is labeled "HD5670DE". Mine is Rev. 1.01.

It appears there's variations of the HD 5670, so as the addage goes "buyer beware".

Anyone want to by my new and unused DisplayPort to DVI active dongle? :emotion-5:

2 Posts

December 24th, 2010 15:00

Hello Jim,

I too suffer from a similar problem.  I purchased the Dell XPS8100 for multiple monitor use in stock trading and it too came with a supposed HD5670.

As we all know, the HD5670 is supposed to include a display adapter, an HDMI, and a DVI output connector .

Now Dell, it its wisdom decided that many users of old computer did not need three monitors, but instead needed the old VGA connector.

I can see the logic of that.  Unfortunately when I was customizing my  purchase, I asked "Does this support two monitors," not realizing that I really would prefer to support three monitors.  Dell's rep said Yes to two monitors.  And, they were correct.  You can easily do two monitors, just not three as you must then have what is called a Display Connection and a dongle.

So, I don't know if Dell would have given me the correct answer, but I plan to not argue withthem about this, but to just purchase and install my own display card.  The Dell OEM version only occupies one slot, and I suspect that the Dell powersupply is weak.  So, I am looking at the various HD5670 cards that are available

The key factors seem to be to fit a PCIe x16 graphics card slot.  Most of the display cards I see require a PCIe 2.0  X16  Does anyone know if the XPS 8100 card slot is the 2.0?  And, does anyone out there have a suggestion for a one slot display card with the appropriate output connectors?

Regards, PapaAlan

11 Posts

December 25th, 2010 09:00

PapaAlan,

My solution was to buy the following two items:

PC Power & Cooling 950W:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028&cm_re=pc_power_950W-_-17-703-028-_-Product

and  a low-power card to go into one of the x1 PCIe slots:

PowerColor HD4350:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131177&cm_re=powercolor_hd4350-_-14-131-177-_-Product

and I've got three monitors up and running. Just adding the 2nd video card to the off-the-shelf XPS is too much for their stock power supply (I tried it with no joy on boot). BTW, this power supply is a smooth drop-in and runs very quietly. It appears to be very well made.

Be wary of the ATI dongle approach and do a little research before investing $$ in a DisplayPort approach. Based on what I can tell using my best Google-fu, the resolution is limited. You must split the resolution you would normally use for one monitor up into two or more monitors. You don't really get fully independent, native resolution outputs using this approach (unless you use the DisplayPort to just drive one display).

The approach I've used above is probably not well suited for gaming off of this 2nd video card (it is only x1), but for non-gaming use it seems to work fine for me.

2 Posts

December 31st, 2010 09:00

Dear LostinFog,

Thanks for the kind advice.  After much internet browsing and in light of your information, I decided on the following solution, which works quite well:

I reviewed all one-slot PCIe graphics cards.  I found that the "real" commercial version of the ATI XFX Radeon 5670 with 1 Gb of onboard memory is indeed the best of what is available as of Dec. 2010.  The one-slot boards consume less power than the two slot units and thus the power supply did not have to be changed. So, I purchased the "real" Radeon HD 5670 from TigerDirect at $99.99.  It has the necessary "Display Port" connection.  Then, I purchased an active Display port to DVI adaptor, the HIS HDPSDVIEYE Display Port to DVI Eyefinity Adapter for $34.99.  Note: an "active" adapter/dongle is essential for three monitors and for use of the Eyefinity technology which allows 3 monitors ... (or maybe even 6 monitors, I have not checked that out).

The replacement Radeon Graphics card goes easily into the same slot in the Dell XPS8100.  It is a bit of a hassle to register with ATI and download the new drivers, but it can be done. No issues in regard to WIN7.  Just remember that the correct drivers are the VISTA 64 bit ones for WIN7.  (I have WIN7 Ultimate).

RESULT: Now I have three monitors up and running.  The trick in Windows 7 for setup is to right click the desktop and click on: Screen Resolution.  You then see three monitors and can set the resolution, and landscape versus portrait, for each.  Next, you select the Main Display and then select  "Extend desktop to this display". With this setup and my three Dell SP2208WFP displays, I ended up with 1680x1050 on all three, which is adequate for the business/investing purposes.

This approach obviates the need for a new power supply.  However, I note that the real HD5670 suggests a 400 Watt power supply but the Dell factory unit is only 350 Watts.  So, if used for gaming, with high power needs, this might become an issue.  So far no problems for me.

11 Posts

December 31st, 2010 14:00

Congrats PapaAlan - that sounds like a great solution and certainly uses less power. Hopfefully those who have run into the same issues trying to get more than 2 monitors up and running on new Dell now have some real-world, proven alternatives.

Sure wish this was clearer when I ordered my Dell originally.

Have a great 2011!

6 Posts

March 18th, 2011 09:00

This has been more confusing thanit should be. The challenge is, I think, that different manufacturers make different implementations of the Radeon technology.  I bought two Dell U2311H monitors recently (after having bought one last October). The monitors have DVI, Display Port, and VGA inputs. When I discovered the anomaly (which is actually documented in Dell's literature online now--I'm not certain it was when I looked, or I missed the link), but Dell clearly states DVI, VGA, and HDMI. Why they would sell HDMI in the PCs but DP in their monitors remains a mystery...unless the DP in the monitor is a nod to trying to get Apple users to buy the monitor.

Anyway, I like the monitor and I took an unorthodox approach: I ran the VGA cable to the second monitor. WOW. Surprise. It works .

The sharpness (for now) is almost as good as the DVI connection (say 90%) and the colour match is quite good. Since I run about 75% of my activity on the left screen, and I'm doing audio editing mostly when I use both screens, I don't see this as a problem.

In early May, StarTech will have an HDMI to DP adapter available which costs more than the plug-in card (can be had in the $90 price range)

http://ca.startech.com/product/HDMI2DP-HDMI-or-DVI-to-DisplayPort-Active-Converter

I guess I understand why the VGA port is there as most computer users I know wouldn't know what to do without one. It will be disappointing when VGA disappears from laptops (my latest from last July, an HP contains VGA and HDMI) as there is a whole host of projectors out there that don't have any other usable connection from a PC.

It seems that even at Tiger Direct, there are both options of cards available as Radeon HD 5670, so it's not even an OEM thing--it is just how different manufacturers package the chipset. AMD/ATI is essentially selling the chipset.

Cheers,

Richard

1 Message

June 9th, 2012 12:00

I also have the same issue.   This seems like a scam from Dell....

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 9th, 2012 12:00

Buy one of these; similar in size to a 5670, but much more capable.

I, too, am mystified as to why VGA support continues to live on in when HDMI support is ubiquitous.

1 Message

May 4th, 2014 19:00

It has been 2 years since these posts, which are somewhat helpful.  I am just now looking for a new computer for trading purposes and need to determine specs for what I need.  Any suggestions?? 

No Events found!