Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2008 00:00

4600C Cooling Fan Inop

My cooling fan for 4600C appears to have totally stopped. First indication of no cooling is system shutdown.  I have placed  a small portable fan blowing on back of unit, but appears I need a new fan.  Any ideas? Can I order a fan and replace it myself?  is this a commoin problem with the 4600C?

130 Posts

February 7th, 2008 01:00

Not a common issue but all fans can fail. The 4600C uses a centrifugal fan. They are easily replaceable (I love Dell systems for ease of service !) and appear to be somewhat available outside of Dell.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-OPTIPLEX-GX260-GX270-4600C-CPU-HEATSINK-FAN_W0QQitemZ230022833025QQihZ013QQcategoryZ80149QQcmdZViewItem

2K Posts

February 7th, 2008 14:00

The fans Dell uses are actually pretty good, ball bearing, brushless.  They are off-the-shelf products, with the exception that the connector is Dell-specific.

The compact design of the C models makes cooling very difficult without the main fan running.  I wouldn't use it that way if I could help it.  If you must, open the case and direct the external fan inside.

Aftermarketers do sell Dell-compatible fans, but make sure the site specifies the exact model it is to go in, as the fan features and connectors are model-specific.

Removing the heatsink to replace the fan, it is strongly preferable to remove all the old heatsink compound from both surfaces and replace it with new upon reassembly.

No Events found!